I've seen dust bunnies, but "lint orbs"?

John Pollman

I've seen dust bunnies, but I think I've found a new phenomenon. Celeste decided that we should call them "lint orbs". I just totally dismantled the dryer and replaced the bearing, belt, pulley, and the felt strips around the drum. It has been really noisy for a long time but lately been getting worse. After spending three hours on the job, I got it all back together and fired it up. It was MUCH better, but there was still an annoying sound that just wasn't right. I replaced everything that I thought was causing the problem. The sound was like metal on metal, but there was no place for a sound like that to occur. Then it dawned on me. I removed the screws that hold the "beater bars" inside the drum. There are three of them. The first one had nothing inside but some "lint orbs", the same with the second one. But the third one I removed had several coins inside that was causing all the racket! But the strangest thing was these lint orbs that have spent the last 13 years forming. They are really pretty cool!

Lint orbs.JPG

Just shows how backward the human race is sometimes. :rolleyes: I mean, a dung beetle can make a nicely rounded ball of crap in a couple of hours. It takes us humans 13 years, and we're using opposable thumbs and machines with beater bars. :rofl: