Layout of Arms for 4 Arm Bowl Steady?

Mike Turner

I am making a 4 arm bowl steady. I just am making sure I am thinking right. Correct me if I need to adjust this.

The arms on the 4 arm steady should be 90 deg. apart. Starting with the bowl steady in place on lathe from dead center ,between the ways of the lathe,at bottom go 45 deg to the first arm, mark, and go 90 deg to 2nd arm, mark, then 90 deg to 3rd arm ,mark and then 90 deg to the 4th arm. I know this is elementary but I was wanting to make sure but I started on them...Thanks !!!

Until someone shows up that knows more, which in this case is 99.999% of the membership, that sounds and looks correct. Checked a couple on Google and thats what they looked like.

That sounds right to me. Here is the acid test....if you are using a hollowing rig with a laser, can the laser pass between the top 2 arms? Remember the laser goes not really go straight in but is usually off to one side as the walls get thinner.

Here is one I made for my Jet 1442 which I sold last weekend with this bowl steady. My top 2 arms don't look to be a perfect 90 degrees (and I'm not an engineer so didn't care ) but this work for several years.

Bowl Steady resize.jpg

Last edited:
That sounds right to me. Here is the acid test....if you are using a hollowing rig with a laser, can the laser pass between the top 2 arms? Remember the laser goes not really go straight in but is usually off to one side as the walls get thinner.

Here is one I made for my Jet 1442 which I sold last weekend with this bowl steady. My top 2 arms don't look to be a perfect 90 degrees (and I'm not an engineer so didn't care ) but this work for several years.

Chip,
I saved your picture of your steady rest... I need to put one together for my lathe (1442) also... think I'll try to copy yours....