Modified Cigar Pen

I like it Mack...what are the materials?
I should have known to mention them.:eek: Specifically, I know not what they are! The invoice shows them as "Acrylic Pen Blank".

They have a fractured stone look to them when peering into them. I've only seen them for sale at one place in Scarborough, now called Artistic Woods, used to be Woodchuckers!

I've had it in other colours, green, blue, orange/yellow?

That is very nice, I have a bunch of the cigar pen kits on hand and I need to make some pens up for a friend, so I might be asking you some questions about this one when the time comes :thumb:

That is very nice, I have a bunch of the cigar pen kits on hand and I need to make some pens up for a friend, so I might be asking you some questions about this one when the time comes :thumb:
Hi Stu; Ask away, no big deal though! It would be much easier for me to show you. A first class return ticket to Japan on your dime and I'll be there. Oh, don't bother, I can't get anyone to insure me for out of country medical expenses. Sorry, we'll have to do it this way!

1973074two-thumbs-up.jpg

macks pens.

I made my wife 3 pens, ones she asked me for, whenever I walk by her vanity, I notice the pen Mack made for her is the one she uses every day. the pinky blingy pen.
guess it says volumes of what she thinks about my work.

Mack, what modifications did you make so you could get away with not using the center band? Steve
Hi Steve; Welcome to FWW where you will meet a great bunch of Woodworkers.

To answer your question: A normal top tube of a Cigar pen measures ~49 cms. With the centreband in place the top end measures ~54 cms. I cut a 10" pc of 10mm tube to ~53 cms, and used that as the top tube.

I think I've answered your question fully, so you can understand. If not, get back to me!

Thanks again Mack. I keep a supply of 10" brass tubes in several diameters for times when I ruin one. I've got an assortment of paints, too, for those times when I need them. I am making some pens for my brother using .45 Long Colt cartridges as the nib and the cap. The pen will protrude through the lead bullet. I was going to build them from parts from a cigar pen kit. Using your modification will let me assemble them without the center band and really clean up the finished product. Thanks again. Steve

Thanks Jim, I order them from PSI. They carry 7mm, 8mm, 3/8", and 10mm in 10" lengths (under pen making supplies). For these, I had some extra Cigar Pen tubes on hand I'd picked up so I just used one of the extra lower tubes on each one. When I use a pretubed blank to make a pen, I save the unused tubes from the kit so I have extras there too. Steve