redoing the shop space, again.

allen levine

I finished restacking and sorting out the lumber piles. Not a pleasant job, but it had to be done.

Now I decided to tackle the other wall.

My first task, was to remove the old cabinet next to the mitre, it was sagging, it was a combo of two old cabs, and the slides were cheap ones that were constantly malfunctioning under the weight of the drawers.

I needed to take off 6 inches width so I could move the entire wall of tools down to the right. I cannot open the entrance door all the way and it has become a headache if I need to move something and dont want to move everything to open the overhead door. And in the summer or winter months, opening the overhead doors is a problem, since it lets out all the heat or AC, and makes the garage/shop uncomfortable.

When I first designed that area, I went for just enough room for me to squeeze in and out door, not realizing what a problem it will become later on with heat and AC issues.

I also wanted to dump my craftsman red rolling tool box. It takes up space, simple as that. Its half empty, and if I get rid of that box, I can build a small stand for my jet lathe and keep it in an easily accessible spot, instead of having to move the TS, the dust collector, roll out the heavy table, eh, too much work for an old man like me.

So I made this cabinet like the rolling tool chest, basically to hold all my hand tools, pen supplies, and other assorted stuff I need to stash in drawers but keep nearby.

AFter this I will build a small outfeed table on wheels that will double as a small assembly table so I can get rid of the sawhorses and the old closet door.

Im going to move the mitre to the right 6 inchs and then move the machine table to the right so I can open the door all the way.

Im going to have a vent/tin man, make me exactly what I want for in back of the mitre(small hood with open bottom going into a 4 inch hose) so I get 95% dust collection back there.

Then, Ill be finished and can start working on my next big project(the upstairs bedroom)

as all the people here who have very limited space know, we just have to keep getting inventive? to make our lives easier and more productive woodworking wise.

I used the off color walnut for grips, various old pieces of birch ply for the cabinet, leftover 1/2 sheet of oak ply for the drawer fronts, and I purchased 3/4 particle board melanmine from someone locally, along with half a sheet cdx ply, and 8 2x4s for 20 bucks. I used the melamine for the top, as I will the other piece left for the outfeed table. Not sure how it will hold up, so I didnt make a edgeing yet for the sides of the top. I might have to change it out if it doesnt withstand me pounding on it.(I dont need fancy cabinets, I need drawers that open and store things)

Attachments

• 100_1340.jpg
    100_1340.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 100_1341.jpg
    100_1341.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 100_1342.jpg
    100_1342.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 51
The Machine Levine is back in gear. :thumb: Some guys would spend a week or two pondering the design of the cabinet, and another couple building it and the drawers, and another couple of days installing the drawers. Allen, on the other hand, completes the whole thing in about the time it takes most of us to make and drink a cup of coffee. :D

Looks better than I'd be able to build, Allen. :clap:

Cabinet looks awesome Allen! Have you given any thought to the heights of all your work surfaces in relation to the table saw? Only reason I ask is since I made all of mine the same I no longer have to worry about moving things around because of an over size work piece.

Whats up with the lumber rack that you have to keep re-stacking it? Do you have enough supports so that at most you only have about 4 to 5 layers of wood on any one level?

Some thing like this.
004 (800 x 601).jpg

I go about 12 inches high on the most stacked brackets. My standards are heavy steel, attached directly to the wall studs with 3/8 inch lag screws.
Its been up for 4 years and Im pretty sure it hasnt budged.

My 2 side tables on each side of the mitre are geared towards the mitre height.

My assembly table is the same height to fit in the line as to not interfere when Im cutting long boards.

My new small assembly table will be same height as TS.

I only have 35x48 piece of melanmine left, so the table will be around 30x48 inches. I dont want to purchase anymore sheet goods.

hey alan, how do you pull those drawers open on that cabinet beneath the red tool boxes?

btw, the insides of my cabinet is the one Tom Clark posted here a while back.

Last edited:
I moved the mitre stand over and the rolling tool bench over to the right 6 inches, makes a huge difference in and out the door.
Ofcourse now with the temps get much milder, opening and closing the overhead wont matter as much, but its still an inconvenience.