It was a good day. I did something to make my life a lot easier.

John Pollman

Hi folks,
Most of you know that I'm dealing with a pretty serious medical condition that is causing me problems just getting around and such. It's a progressive disease and there is no treatment or cure available. It's getting increasingly hard to just get up from a seated position without leaning on something. I can't just stand up like most people can. It's embarrassing at times if I'm out in public somewhere and have to stand up. I do the best I can, but it is what it is.

I had never thought about it before, but a couple months ago someone mentioned putting longer legs on my couch, love seat, and chair. I figured it would be a real pain but thought I'd look into it. The other day I tilted the chair back and it's got four plastic 2" diameter by 2" high legs that just screw into the bottom of the chair. They have a 5/16-22 stud formed into the leg. I figured that I was going to have to borrow my neighbor's lathe and get busy. But I was at the BORG this afternoon and found 2" diameter x 4' long poplar dowels for $8.00! I picked up a couple, along with some 4" hex bolts and washers. I just cut some 4" lengths of the dowel and then used a forstner bit to drill a 1" deep hole in one end. Then I finished the hole with a 3/8 spade bit. Took them upstairs and they bolted right up and worked great! That extra 2" doesn't sound like much, but it makes a BIG difference to me! I did the chair first and I just have to remove them and throw some stain on them and they're good to go. Once I knew that it worked, I went back down into the shop and cut and machined enough of them to do the couch, love seat, and ottoman. They're already stained and ready to install. I'll do that tomorrow after they've dried. I wish I'd have thought of this a LONG time ago.

All in all, it was a good day!

Excellent John. Well done. As I race toward 60 I find myself making adjustments for my slower rebound capability. Its the little comfort things that add up so we can do the big things we want to do :D

John,

Glad to hear it worked!

I can sympathize! I need to have both knees replaced.

A couple years ago we replaced a toilet in our main bathroom with an extended height toilet. It's only an inch or so taller but it makes a significant difference and it's also a 1.6 gallon flush that works very well. Two weeks ago the wife and I were talking and we both agreed. In a month or so, I will replace the toilet in our basement bath with the same toilet. A little higher seat is much easier for old knees.

Hi,

It sounds superficial to just say something like, "That's wonderful." However, anything you can do that makes life nicer is great. Many years ago I was talking with a friend of a very good friend of mine. He was into climbing rock cliffs, etc. In his pack that he carried up the cliff was a small aluminum salt shaker. I asked him what that was doing in his pack. His reply was something like: If you have spent the day climbing the face and you are going to spend the night hanging from ropes, then you are going to spend tomorrow climbing on up, "a little luxury is a wonderful thing."

Heck, at my 86 yr old age I still get up and down from the floor. I do it slower. And it is really nice when there is a chair or a table saw to grab a hold of. Take whatever luxuries you can. Do what you can and enjoy it as much as you can.

Enjoy,
JimB

Ken,
about a year ago, I remodeled our master bath. I put an ADA approved handicap height toilet in there and I love it! Like you said, the extra inch and a half doesn't seem like much, but it is. I've got two other toilets in the house that need to be done. Money has been tight so I haven't wanted to spend it on toilets, but it's becoming a priority. Check your local Home Depot. They carry the one I put in my master bath and it's a really nice toilet. It's "Dual-Flush" too, if you do a full flush it only uses 1.6 gallons. The half flush is for liquid and a little bit of paper and works fine, it only uses .8 gallons! They come as an "all in one" kit that includes everything needed for the install including a seat and a wax ring. (I'm not sure if it has a supply line though). They are only $98! I've been using the one in the master bath for a year and it works great.

The stain was dry when I got up this morning and I shot them with a light coat of quick drying poly. I just finished installing the new legs on the rest of the furniture in the room. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! I so wish I'd done this a long time ago. They look and work great. In was worried that the furniture would look strange after being lifted a couple inches. But I actually think it looks better. I haven't tried it yet, but I think the vacuum might fit under there now too! It's a winner the way around. :)

That is a good tip John, I will have to pass along to some relatives that I know of with similar problems getting up and down. :wave:

Ken,
about a year ago, I remodeled our master bath. I put an ADA approved handicap height toilet in there and I love it! Like you said, the extra inch and a half doesn't seem like much, but it is. I've got two other toilets in the house that need to be done. Money has been tight so I haven't wanted to spend it on toilets, but it's becoming a priority. Check your local Home Depot. They carry the one I put in my master bath and it's a really nice toilet. It's "Dual-Flush" too, if you do a full flush it only uses 1.6 gallons. The half flush is for liquid and a little bit of paper and works fine, it only uses .8 gallons! They come as an "all in one" kit that includes everything needed for the install including a seat and a wax ring. (I'm not sure if it has a supply line though). They are only $98! I've been using the one in the master bath for a year and it works great.

I think I just installed that same toilet in our master bath, made by Glacier Bay. I would have to stand and hold the button for it to flush prior. I notice when pushing the buttons inside without the lid on it would flush on it's own once pushed. Once I adjusted the two prongs on the button to be a little longer (which the manual said that it shouldn't need to be done), it's worked great. I'm planning to upgrade the seat that came with it soon though. Will probably buy the same one/style for the downstairs bath when we re-model it next year.

....Heck, at my 86 yr old age I still get up and down from the floor....
I read recently of a study that showed a significant correlation between an individuals ability to get down to, and up from the floor with the individuals longevity. The fewer the assists required, the longer the person's life expectancy. Guess it's a measure of your fitness, balance, agility, flexibility?? You're doing great Jim! We should all frolic on the floor once in a while:)

Great solution John. I learned when dealing with back issues years ago that little things can make a big difference. :thumb: