Remember When??

Bob Spare

In the process of completing order #17 Outhouse (Tool, potting shed) All made from 1851 barnwood.

Got 2 more orders pending.

Looking for short stories and clean outhouse jokes to be printed as brief history, triva, jokes etc. For handing out with the completion of said item.:type: :type:

If you have something you would like to share would appricate it.:thumb: :thumb:

Young Bobby was playing in his room when his father came in, red in the face.

"Bobby, did you tip over the outhouse?"

"Well, Dad, I won't lie, yes I did it."

"Young man, you are grounded for a month."

"But Dad, when George Washington said he couldn't tell a lie, that he chopped down the cherry tree, his dad didn't punish him."

"Yeah, but his dad wasn't sitting in that cherry tree either."

Did you say 'potty' shed?

CUTE:rofl: :rofl:

You all will receive credits, and provide a copy of the booklet
==============
Sample:

The barn wood used to build this outhouse (Potting, tool shed) came from Leo Indiana. The original barn was built in 1851. Then was added on again in 1920 and 1951. It was torn down 2005. Bob Spare (Fort Wayne In.) purchased 90% of the barn and established a hobby of building many furniture products from this barn.
Majority of the products completed are located on this website for viewing pleasure.

Crescent Moon: The crescent moon cutout and the star cut out on the door of many outhouses goes back to Colonial times. In a time when few people could read, the crescent moon was the symbol for women while the star cutout was for men. Plus it helped let in daylight or moon light to read the Sears Catalog. Very few of the men’s outhouses with the star survived the test of time, to the point of non-existent.

Outhouses With Two Holes: No, these old vintage structures weren't usually doing double duty. Rather, most contained two holes of different sizes - one for adults and one for children. Don't think those kids wanted to sit on the bigger hole and risk the consequences.

Outhouse011.jpg

Outhouse017.jpg

Last edited:
My daughter Kathleen and I built the outhouse at our summer place (Pellow’s Island north of Hearst Ontario) about 20 years ago:

077 The outhouse at Pellow's Camp.JPG 078 Signs on the outhouse at Pellow's Camp.JPG

We keep it well maintained and it is still a great place to escape to with a good book. And, if you forget to take one with you, there are some well stocked bookcases inside:

Billy Bass in the Outhouse -1.JPG

The best compliment that I ever received about the outhouse was when my 14 year old city raised niece Kate visited Pellow’s Camp (and the wilderness) for the first time. Kate was obviously very apprehensive about the toilet facilities provided but she finally had to make a visit. She emerged about 15 minutes later clutching a 30 year old copy of Readers Digest and laughing profusely. Her comment to me was “I love your reading room Uncle Frank”. If a fastidious teenaged girl approves of the facility, it must be good.

Nice work, Bob. I'd never considered that format for a garden shed, but it would be real handy.
We keep it well maintained and it is still a great place to escape to with a good book. And, if you forget to take one with you, there are some well stocked bookcases inside:

View attachment 6587
That's probably the most nicely-appointed outhouse I think I've seen Frank. Great job. :thumb: