Router plate?

ok brent and others, that mortis on your link looks to be a little ragged and not parallel with the edge as it should be..? the ones that glenn makes with his setup are straight and smooth..

I'd say they didn't use any feather boards

Just posted that link to show Al the basic design of the router table in Carols book, i.e. the first picture.

I never even scrolled down that far you darn threadjackers! :threadjacked:

This was supposed to be about router plates not mortises.... :rofl:

No, don't worry about it. I think it's funny.

Just kidding you guys.

I actually did try out my little mortiser dealy bob this weekend. It made very straight mortises...

At any rate, I think I'm pretty sold on going this direction.

Perhaps make it kind of like a little torsion box for flatness and rigidity.

Seems like it would combine the benefits of a router plate with the benefits of not having a router plate.

I could have multiple plexi tops with different sized holes.

The top on my router table is already hinged, so it would make it relatively easy to change things out if needed.

I've also go some wrenches that would allow me to change bits from the top of the table.

attachment.php

Brent, I like your concept, seems to incorporate the benefit advantages you noted. Not knowing what you already have for a support structure below, will this have a cabinet? Also, would you include a duct port behind the fence? And, where would you get the fence components for what is shown?

I've got a pretty basic cabinet with storage drawers. It's on wheels, so I pull it away from the wall and hook up the dust collector hose to a port in the back.

The top is on a hinge and lifts up.

I'm actually thinking of just retrofitting this current top for the time being.

I've got some pretty flat 1/2 ply, and some extra laminate I could make a another layer to go on the top to test out how I like the idea.

FWW-8926.jpg

Looks like you're putting together a total solution for what you originally were looking to. Well conceived! What is the source of the extruded, gold colored aluminum sections that make up your fence & the fence adjustment arm. Is this something you made on your own, or is it sold separately?

FWIW I started out and built Uncle Norm's router table with a few modifications. Used a Benchdog 3/8" phenolic insert to start with and then made additional inserts using 1/4" baltic birch epoxy laminated with 1/8" polycarb for a few special applications. Modified my PC router with a homemade lift that works great. Finally adapted the whole shebang into my table saw stand and am pleased with the results. Initially put in a miter gauge track but have yet to use it after almost a decade.

...What is the source of the extruded, gold colored aluminum sections that make up your fence & the fence adjustment arm. Is this something you made on your own, or is it sold separately?

Welcome to the world of Incra. :thumb: I have an Incra setup on my tablesaw that doubles as my router table fence. If I ever get another saw, it will also be equipped with Incra. Not inexpensive, but worth every penny. I also have an Incra miter gauge and several other smaller Incra gadgets.