name of a supplier or the company

larry merlau

that makes prefinished plywood, done a search and had no luck for a local distributor. so would like to contact a company that sells it to see who is a distributor in my area. asked a local lumber yard and he wasnt even aware it was available.

whats the product name rich? i didnt see it listed as prefinish plywood? well i think i found the name, but i do have another question rich, how does spraying lacquer on the face frames affect the prefinished plywood?

Last edited:
Here's a couple of links. Try the second link and plug in MI into the state.
Looks like they have wholesale distributors in several locations.

http://columbiaforestproducts.com/Locations

http://columbiaforestproducts.com/Wholesale

Wagner Wood Products, Inc.FSC® certified
80 W. Lakewood Blvd.
Holland, MI US 49423

marker_icon.png
Victor S. BarnesFSC® certified
1927 Will Avenue N.W.
Grand Rapids, MI US 49504

marker_icon.png
All American PlywoodFSC® certified
18840 John R St
Detroit, MI US 48203

marker_icon.png
Amerhart Ltd. - Traverse CityFSC® certified
5763 S. Bates
Williamsburg, MI US 49690

marker_icon.png
Bond Plywood, Inc.FSC® certified
988 East Saratoga
Ferndale, MI US 48220

what I do Larry is prefinish the face frames before putting them on the boxes. Then, I use cork pads on my clamps and apply just enough pressure to hold them while I run in the pocket screws. Works great and I dont have to mask anything off. I build my boxes first then size my face frames accordingly, do all my machining and then prefinish.

local craft supply I get 6x6 1/4" thick cork and cut to fit the size of my clamps

Larry, most of the places I get the prefinished stuff from call it UV. It stands for ultraviolet cured polyurethane. I get mine from Cedar Creek Lumber out of Tulsa OK. I do like Rich and finish my frames before assembly. I did the assembly then finish for a long time but spraying the UV will result in an overspray that will be a bit rough to the touch. I used to clean that up with a bit of 220 sandpaper but it took the sheen off the UV. I dado all my faceframes to recieve the plywood with a 1/2 x 3/8 groove, finish the frames and assemble face down on a wool carpet. As long as I keep the carpet clean and free of hardware I don't get any scratching.

well did some checking and they folks around me wont sell a few sheets they want a unit or not at all. so i quess i am back to spraying inside the boxes.. thanks for the insight on this..one would think that a supplier could sell a few sheets but they say it scratches easily so they wont do it..

+1 on pre-finishing your own. that way if things got scratched during assembly, you would have an exact match for repair. My local yard sells several varieties by the sheet although I have not worked with it. In talking with them about it, the folks that have real success with it "know how to work with it". This seems to include handling during machining and assembly. I would imagine a decent level of awareness and care would get you by. The finishes they have are all poly and so are pretty scratch resistant if handled carefully.

well did some checking and they folks around me wont sell a few sheets they want a unit or not at all. so i quess i am back to spraying inside the boxes.. thanks for the insight on this..one would think that a supplier could sell a few sheets but they say it scratches easily so they wont do it..

Not selling you a few sheets for that reason is a bunch of bunk. I buy lots of it but in small amounts, usually 20 sheets or less per delivery. Sure makes putting cabinets together much easier. Sorry you can't get your hands on it.

Ive never had a problem with minor touch ups on the prefin plywood. the finish is pretty durable. and prefinishing the face frames before installing is a huge timesaver over masking.
Spraying boxes is no fun and prefinishing the sheets is about as exciting as watching the grass grow. there are places where its just not worth doing it yourself and plywood is near the top of the list

yeah rich, if i could get it i would.. i have sprayed boxes and know the fun it is..:) NOT and being able to screw most of it together makes a job go much faster.. do you glue as well as the pocket screws?

yes I rabbet, dado and glue and screw my boxes. The backs I screw the top and the bottom and staple the sides. I make my boxes with 3/4 top bottom and sides and use a 1/2" back. The 3/4 is prefinished both sides as it makes for a flatter stable sheet and just use pre finished 1 side for the backs.
The boxes I screw through the sides of the box with 2" #10's countersunk and pocket screw the face frames on. 1" screws on the backs with 1" 1/4" crown staples along the sides about 3-4" oc
the tops of the boxes are usually 4" wide strips front and back

Last edited: