New Mutli-Use Space (AKA The Dungeon Ground Floor)

Stuart Ablett

I got all the sushi shop stuff out of the way, the sushi shop customer is up and running now, and I might even get some cabinet work out of them in the new place. They are very nice people and they paid us back in style!

IMG_5274_zpsefe7ddd3.jpg

I took my wife and daughter who is here visiting for two weeks, out for sushi.

IMG_5275_zps254c929c.jpg

It was delicious, and they would not let me pay!

Then a couple of days later, out of the blue this appeared at the shop around dinner time.....

IMG_5292_zpsc974e6c1.jpg

Yum!

So now that the space is cleared, somewhat, I put up some cement board in the one end of the space.....

IMG_5297_zpsf1a9541e.jpg

This area will become my welding, metalworking area. I'll build a small bench to weld on and have my welder set up there.

IMG_5296_zpsd6028533.jpg

I'll also put a curtain along the beam at the top of the picture to keep the welding/metalworking mess somewhat contained.

IMG_5303_zps6fd13302.jpg

The middle area will be for bicycle maintenance.

The stand will go on that side of the space, and the workbench...

IMG_5304_zpsffce1963.jpg

Will go against that wall, I think I'll get a couple more pieces of cement board just to finish that wall off, they are not expensive and they will be a tougher wall than just drywall.

I even got #1 daughter helping me unload the mini van....

IMG_5269_zpsc27917ea.jpg

Taught her how to carry plywood, lucky for her the sheets here are small, only about 3' x 6' not the NA size of 4' x 8'

The rest of the area will be for wood storage, I'm going to weld up some largish steel cages that will be on wheels, one for my sheet goods, that will get the sheet goods out of the dungeon, clearing up a LOT of space, and I'll keep the Festool track saw and stuff upstairs to break down the sheets instead of taking them down stairs all the time. I'll also make a cage or two that will have hardwood board standing on end so I can have easier access to them.

This should be good, I'll get the welding/metalworking out of the Dungeon, the sheet goods, as well as some hardwood, and the bicycle stuff out of the dungeon as well, much easier to just roll the bikes into the new space than lug them downstairs to the Dungeon.

Lots left to do, and I've got no time to do it, but hey, that is normal right?

Cheers!

Looking good, Stu. Do you need to keep the floor above that hatch open, or is that decision just up to you?

I didn't know you were working on your bike down there. I agree that would have gotten old REAL fast. Brooks saddle?
I always enjoy shop tour/renovation stuff, so I'll be watching how you improve your space. There are always lots of ideas to share.

I'll bet your daughter is the only one in her school enjoying spring break in Tokyo! My #1 son got to do his first ever spring break in Florida -- but it was a mission/work trip so no so much a play time.

You're certainly making great use of a confined space - good for you! Reallocating the use of your work as you described makes a lot of sense and should make things a whole lot easier. However, if you continue to get those delicious eats, you may have to dedicate a space just for yourself. :rofl: The food is so well prepared & presented so beautifully, it speaks well of the Japanese culture.

Looking good, Stu. Do you need to keep the floor above that hatch open, or is that decision just up to you?
The decision is up to me. I'll most likely put something down on the floor, just to make it easier to clean up, but it will be removable so I can still access the hatch.

I didn't know you were working on your bike down there. I agree that would have gotten old REAL fast.

Brooks saddle?
You bet, Brooks B17 classic, the best saddle for long rides that money can buy, IMHO.
I'm no racer, so the extra heft of this saddle is well worth the comfort.

I always enjoy shop tour/renovation stuff, so I'll be watching how you improve your space. There are always lots of ideas to share.
Things have changed and evolved for sure, but getting the sparky stuff out of the woodworking shop has been a desire for a very long time! and not having to lug the bikes up and down helps, as well as moving all the bike stuff upstairs, frees up valuable space downstairs, I think I have a drum sander in my sights now :D

I'll bet your daughter is the only one in her school enjoying spring break in Tokyo! My #1 son got to do his first ever spring break in Florida -- but it was a mission/work trip so no so much a play time.
She is enjoying herself, spending some time with old school friends, and even us old parents too! I have finally got her to clean up her room! She is looking forward to going back to Canada, her real friends are there now, and while she loves it her, back there is where her life is right now.

You're certainly making great use of a confined space - good for you! Reallocating the use of your work as you described makes a lot of sense and should make things a whole lot easier. However, if you continue to get those delicious eats, you may have to dedicate a space just for yourself. :rofl: The food is so well prepared & presented so beautifully, it speaks well of the Japanese culture.

I don't get sushi like that very often, that is a couple hundred bucks worth at least sitting there, good quality medium high end place.

Looking good, Stu. :thumb:

Gotta say, though, I know a lot of people love it, but sushi just ain't my cup o' Darjeeling. I look at the photos and I'm still just seeing a beautifully-presented tray of bait. :) Which is good, because it means that much more for you!

The new shop area looks great....The sushi is not my thing. I wouldn't eat it. Not even for a new Saw Stop. (well maybe a little tiny taste of something that was actually cooked and I was blindfolded)

The new shop area looks great....The sushi is not my thing. I wouldn't eat it. Not even for a new Saw Stop. (well maybe a little tiny taste of something that was actually cooked and I was blindfolded)

Wow. I've had it, and I was not fond of about 1/3 of it (ie: the squid) but for a Sawstop? Serve it up and I'd eat it with a smile! :drool::rofl:

Really nice to see the pic of you all at dinner Stu. Sushi looks fantastic and where better to have it than in the right place and country. Yummy.
I often wonder how many people have been put off Sushi as a result of the poor stuff we get served up here in so many wanna be Sushi joints.
When the correct fish is used and its fresh and properly cut and presented oh man it does the fish justice.
I love prime rib but i could easily trade it for fish.

Hey I am thinking your welding up there will be way way safer in so many ways especially fumes.
So i guess the new biz venture did not pan out eh? Not happy about that I was looking forward to seeing your name in lights. :(

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Guys, on the sushi thing, there is so much there, trust me I can find some that most anyone would like, the Maguro or the Toro, (cuts of tuna) are really, really good, but there are others that I too would not eat twice :eek:

Rob, the business idea is on hold for now, I have to get my wife healthy and pay for two kids going to school overseas, one starting university in September! Not the time to put a bunch of money and effort into a new venture. If things had gone differently last November, I would have more than likely made the commitment, but as things have turned out, I'm going to remain on the sidelines and hold my money for things that have to be paid. No one take this in a political direction, I'm talking about economics here, I feel that the time to take a calculated risk is NOT now for too many reasons.

On the plus side, nothing I do in this new space is permanent I have thought it out so that everything can be moved around so who knows where I'll be in a few years. Twenty five years ago if you told me that I'd be living in Japan, married to a Japanese gal, running a liquor shop in downtown Tokyo, I'd ask what you had been smoking :D Never know how things will turn out, but for the near future I have to hold my cards tight and keep the bills paid and the lights on.

Getting back to this.

OK first I moved the logs that I got from laid out on the floor,

hinoki_stack_3_zps186bae77.jpg

IMG_5411_zps61d0ca71.jpg

to standing up on end.

This is a much better use of the space, and you can see that in the same space, I got all the logs and a buch of sheet goods.

I plan on making some steel cages on wheels for holding boards standing on end and for sheet goods, they will fit in the space there beside the hatch, but will also be able to be moved around as needed.

Now I'm setting up my welding area....

First thing I did was put in a curtain to contain the dust and such from welding....

IMG_5412_zps9012be24.jpg

Works well, and can be easily drawn back out of the way......

IMG_5414_zps1d55d23b.jpg

You can see it on the left there.

I'm using some old knock off workmates for a welding table right now, but the first thing I'll build will be a welding bench.....

IMG_5415_zps444e33c6.jpg

the steel on the right side of the welding room will be built into a bench, soon I hope, nothing fancy, just a steel bench supporting a steel top, and I'll make a cart to stand in the corner to put my MIG and my Arc welder on as well, as time allows.

Cheers!

Thought about a folding type of welding table?

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200342949_200342949?cm_sp=Xsells-_-Manual-_-Product%2520Page

http://store.cyberweld.com/miar30weta30.html

I typically store clamps and such on mine, so can see wanting to have a stationary table too.

You raise a good point, I have been thinking that a cart for the two welders would be good, but maybe just make the steel table top attached to the folding workmate clone, and then I cal fold it up and stuff it against the wall...?