Some helpful advice for those of us who need to balance between work and our passions

...And really good advice it is!

I lived the first 59 years of my life in various highly structured (and very busy/time consuming) environments, Since retiring, I've learned to livea very casual, non-structured lifestyle. Not particularly productive, but not very stressful, either.

Productivity is highly over-rated! :D

FWIW, after retiring, it took me several YEARS(!) to wind down and get settled and casual. I still get a lot of stuff done - just on my terms, now.

And when you find your passion, starting working to increase the passion time and reduce the work time. I love what I do and now it is what I do full time. Even better, I make money at it!

In other words, don't stop with a half-hearted attempt as implied at the end of the article.

My wife sometimes says, "Go out and turn something!" (maybe I should have used all CAPS?) I know about that time that I haven't been spending enough time out in the shop...not enough shop time can lead to me getting cranky a bit quicker. :eek:

I don't think I've every really worked , maybe in the army but I was still a kid playing army LOL I love my hobby but sometimes it get a little stressed just because of the money factor.

I thought retirement was the greatest thing on earth, Im starting to think differently.
None of my friends are retired, my wife still works, my kids are no longer home, everyone in my family works, and it gets a bit boring, lonely?, I feel almost as Ive become invisible, as everyone goes on with their way of life, which is a working life.

The worst part is that I sit around alot lately, and I eat. and trust me, I dont need to eat.

sometimes I think Id rather be back working.

I learned how to pace myself when I worked, how to squeeze in time for things I needed to do at home, shopping, doctors, etc...now I look for things to fill my time up.

eh.

I thought retirement was the greatest thing on earth, Im starting to think differently.
None of my friends are retired, my wife still works, my kids are no longer home, everyone in my family works, and it gets a bit boring, lonely?, I feel almost as Ive become invisible, as everyone goes on with their way of life, which is a working life.

The worst part is that I sit around alot lately, and I eat. and trust me, I dont need to eat.

sometimes I think Id rather be back working.

I learned how to pace myself when I worked, how to squeeze in time for things I needed to do at home, shopping, doctors, etc...now I look for things to fill my time up.

eh.

Allen, I can relate to what you are going through. In my case I was fortunately reasonably financially prepared for retirement as we both frugally saved & invested for this time of our lives. As it turned out, retirement occurred a bit earlier than expected as the plant where I worked closed down due to outsourcing all of their work (small steam turbines & centrifugal pipeline compressors) to various domestic & foreign sources. At the age of 55 no one would look at hiring someone in my profession (mid-level mfg. mgr./lg corp.) within driving distance; it was no longer an option to uproot & re-locate as I'd done several times before; and at a comparable salary, so what to do?

I can only suggest learning a new occupation, or pastime, that can be operated from home! I won't go into what I specifically did/do as it's already referenced in my profile, but If you are seriously concerned about a "boring" retirement; having a working wife; and the lack of contact with others, you might consider pursuing what you really enjoy doing on a more serious level. This is so much easier to do these days with a home computer. This will require some serious thinking to settle on a new "career path", but you'll find it an interesting and hopefully enjoyable challenge. Sounds easy huh? Well, it's not as difficult as you might think. There are many opportunities to work out of your home, some of an already established franchise nature, some that you could develop for yourself that suits your preferences. I guess it's time for me to get off the perch. Good luck!

Re: Some helpful advice for those of us who need to balance between work

Allen i can understand how you feel. But give some thought to more than one hobby. Only select the additional hobby to be one where there is more interaction or activity with others involved. I remember not long ago when you were only starting out with woodworking now look at what you have achieved and in many ways.
So you know you can do anything you put your mind to. It dont have to be a activity involving acquiring more stuff to do it and it seems to me you would want it not to be a solitary kind like woodworking tends to be or photography.
Ever given something like radio controlled whatever a try.
I would like to build a nice size radio controlled sailboat someday and get to race it and join a club. You get to mix regularly with others have some fun competition to keep the spirit alive get to use your shop tools to make a boat and need to learn about rc, sailing tactics etc especially for tiny craft. Then there is always quadcopters waiting that dont require flying skills :)
Oh my list could be endless.
Other thing, what about volunteering somewhere. I am thinking having met you that you would be great fun at a place that something like a soup kitchen. You also got skills i am sure could come in handy in the organizing of a place like that. Give a few different things a try out ....hey you live in the big apple go man go. Hey what about looking around your area and seeing if you can brighten up some old coots day with helping on a fix to do with Sandy damage...no big stuff just small bits that an old dear might struggle to find someone to do it or cant afford it. The reward will make up for the void you feeling in the sense of purpose dept.

Good thread Brent. :thumbup:

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2