4 poster bed build for Son & Wife

Got the holes drilled. With the new lathe chuck, using it to hold & drive the turnings. I make sure that the turning will rotate against the bit, then start lathe on lowest setting. I advance the drill bit till the drill chuck starts to enter the hole. The turned Pins are 2& 1/4" long. New post design compared to the Ash bed. Mattress height is 4& 1/2" lower.
IMG_6189.JPGIMG_6194.JPGIMG_6196.JPG

This is really great stuff Bryan. Your breadth of skills really lets you make use of a lot of design elements. Always a pleasure to ride along.

This is really great stuff Bryan. Your breadth of skills really lets you make use of a lot of design elements. Always a pleasure to ride along.

Thanks! :wave:

Next free time is saturday, time to start the head / foot boards. I was thinking about using bed bolts to hold the head and foot board together. If I glue it up, it's going to make transporting the finished bed 3 hrs away hard. Glued up won't fit under the topper of the pick up truck :huh:

This weekend, I have been working on the head and footboards, cutting the side arcs out with a jig saw. I cut the headboard 1st, then used it to trace the cut line for the footboard. I also belt sanded the tops smooth. The Festool vac only captures about 1/2 the dust off the PC 3x21 sander.
frown.png
I drag the oscillating spindle sander over to the side of the Mini Max stroke sanders bench and adjust the the table height to match.
cool.png

IMG_6233.JPGIMG_6235.JPGIMG_6236.JPGIMG_6237.JPG

I can never speak for anyone else on this site, but your builds are such a pleasure to watch as you go along, not to mention an education.

that tenon cutting on the headboard...........impressive.

Bryan thanks for posting. You make it look real easy to do. Wish it was. :)

Would you be prepared to share your source for Ash in Canada. I saw you mention the price you paid for this stuff what sort of quantity were you purchasing.

I really learnt a trick with that way you made the molding for edge of the headboard. I was wondering just how you were going to finish the edge of it. Without seeing how you did that i would have not even thought about trying to think of making a curved molding.

Am i correct in my understanding that even if your line on that curved piece you cut out was not perfectly straight that the cutter would have taken care of that.? Definitely gonna experiment and give this a try to learn.

I have a bed i have promised to make this summer for my son before he goes back to University.

How do you plan on supporting the mattress in your bed design.

In a previous bed i built i used slats across the two rails supported by the rails but with another "rail" piece tacked on so that the net height of the mattress was at the height of the top edge of the side rails.

Thanks again Bryan.:thumb:

Bryan thanks for posting. You make it look real easy to do. Wish it was. :)

Would you be prepared to share your source for Ash in Canada. I saw you mention the price you paid for this stuff what sort of quantity were you purchasing.

I really learnt a trick with that way you made the molding for edge of the headboard. I was wondering just how you were going to finish the edge of it. Without seeing how you did that i would have not even thought about trying to think of making a curved molding.

Am i correct in my understanding that even if your line on that curved piece you cut out was not perfectly straight that the cutter would have taken care of that.? Definitely gonna experiment and give this a try to learn.

I have a bed i have promised to make this summer for my son before he goes back to University.

How do you plan on supporting the mattress in your bed design.

In a previous bed i built i used slats across the two rails supported by the rails but with another "rail" piece tacked on so that the net height of the mattress was at the height of the top edge of the side rails.

Thanks again Bryan.:thumb:
This bed is FAS grade 6/4, 8/4 oak, $3.00 bd ft from Townsend Lumber, spent $560 with tax in. Not much left over of the oak, a few 6/4 bds. Last bed was ash, from another woodworker with a bush, paid $1.50 for 4/4 and $2 bd ft for the 8/4 . Log run air dried, some knots.
The bed rails will have a 2x2 glued to the inside for the box spring to sit on. I have 2 long off cuts left for that.
The curved molding , drew a large radius, bandsaw out, sand the inside, then router the profile. Once glued on, I draw a 2" line off the inside edge and then jig saw that off. At least thats what I did the last bed. This time I tried to get 2 curved pcs from the same 8" wide board, so band sawed them with some extra, over the 2" I needed, but not enough extra to jig saw the glue up together. This resulted in extra sanding to grind down the double uneven edge.
This pic is how I did the ash bed, more wood, and jigsawed it out, then only one edge to sand.
IMG_4961.JPG

Last edited: