Invisible hinge suggestions for medicine cabinet

Dave Minnich

Hey folks,

I'm currently designing a full-length wall mirror with a storage space in the wall behind the mirror, similar to a medicine cabinet. The only hitch is I want to disguise the fact that it opens up, so I need to find some hinges that won't be visible when the door/mirror is closed. I've looked at invisible barrel hinges, and they'll probably work, but I figured I'd see if this community had suggestions for other options.

The requirements I have for these include:
1) no indication that the hinge exists when the cabinet door is closed
2) must support 15-20 lbs (I'm guessing… it'll be a 15" x 60" piece of mirror glass with a frame)
3) must allow at least 90 degrees opening in this config.

Any thoughts, suggestions welcomed.

--dave

now that is one clever application of drawer slides darren.. how does one lock it and yet hide the fact that is a lockable device? from under neath the frame assbly?

now that is one clever application of drawer slides darren.. how does one lock it and yet hide the fact that is a lockable device? from under neath the frame assbly?

I think they just added that lockable design and they aren't giving up it's secrets to anyone that hasn't bought one yet. It looks like they've gone to a stamped metal design with wood overlay to adjust the exposed thickness from the walls too vs. what previous models were.

inset or overlay door?

Overlay.

Have you considered Euro-style hinges?

I guess a full overlay euro would work. What's the max overlay they support? Hmm…time to do some googling.

Does it need to hinge? What about full extension drawer slides?

examples: http://tacticalwalls.com/

I actually thought about that. I've seen floor mirrors with similar mechanisms, but I don't have the clearance for that in my case.

Thanks, all, and keep the ideas coming.

--dave