Welcome Owen Bostrom!

Glenn Clabo

Let me be the first to offer a welcome to Owen. Owen and I have worked together for many years in the wonderful world of submarines...but try not to hold that against him. I invited him because he has been interested in woodworking/construction (built his own home) and has a real affection for blacksmithing.

Well here I am. I am new to this type of format. We have Yahoo list forums between blacksmiths which seem primitive (fitting I suppose) compared to this. Glenn will keep me straight as I try to navigate this group.
As Glenn noted, my wife and I built our own home, and several "improvements". I do woodworking for fun and my wife Martha also participates. She's pretty good on a scroll saw, but not as confident on a table saw for example. I like turning and would like to get better at it, and I would like to continue to incorporate blacksmithing and woodworking together.
I work on the RDT&E side of submarine development as a test director, and that is the greatest hinderence to my creative spirit. I make a lot of practical stuff in both wood and metal. I have also played fairly seriously in photography, and in the seventies, built and ran several NASCAR Modifieds on the East Coast mostly in New England. That's were I got the idea of trying blacksmithing.
Owen Bostrom, Ashaway, RI