Cypress Porch Balusters

Last fall I had a customer come to me in need of 60 spindles for a porch that was in bad shape. The house is in a historical district, and all work/renovation must be "as close to the original as possible". Of course, I love this kind of work, but at the same time I had been dreading the thought of having to deal with 2 perpendicular pommels on a softwood spindle. The due date was set for the end of March, and a few weeks ago it was time to face the music. Fortunately once I got into it I realized it wasn't as problematic as I thought it would be. But I still couldn't make a false move, cuz that dern cypress is unforgiving stuff (there's a few 'oops' spindles in the burn pile).

- Hutch

Attachments

• Balusers 1.jpg
    Balusers 1.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Balusters 2.jpg
    Balusters 2.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 38
Those look great Hutch, but I think the third one from the right is a bit thicker on top. :p I can't imagine working thru all those...Well Done! :thumb:

They look great. Once you are set up, how long does it take to complete a single spindle? I trust you use a template, so what material do you use for the template to stand up to that volume of work?

Good stuff as always,Hutch. :clap: I'm sure your customer was/will be pleased.

Those look great Hutch, but I think the third one from the right is a bit thicker on top. :p I can't imagine working thru all those...Well Done! :thumb:

No, no no! It's the fifth one from the left, and it's thicker on the bottom. :rofl:

Thanks all!

Ryan - I turned these all freehand. I used a masonite story stick for layout, and three calipers settings to part specific diameters.....pretty typical stuff. Good cutting technique is absolutely imperative, but another key issue for speed and accuracy is order of procedure. If you cut the wrong elements at the wrong time you can give yourself headaches. Also, you have to have control and power while remaining fluid in your movement. Don't white knuckle it or you'll only last a couple hours (and keep your legs and body relaxed too). As for making them identical, your eye naturally makes the given elements look the same after you turn a few. In fact, your eye will even know when you should stop at certain diameters. By the end I probably could have turned one within 1/32" at any point without using calipers. That just sorta happens on its own.....and it's pretty cool. :D

Al - No real template per se, just a story stick and calipers. Time it took: From the stack of blanks to completed and off the lathe I got them down to about 8.5 minutes each at my fastest. (I only worked at this pace for a few of the hours.) Under ten was the more typical time.

As to the variation in thickness, I blame wood movement. :D I milled them all at the same time, but some of them warped ever so slightly. It's also the lighting. It's the light's fault....that's it. :rolleyes:

- Hutch

Last edited:
I was waiting for you to answer about the freehand turning.

that is super impressive. you can say all you want about getting your eyes used to making them, but it takes alot of talent to turn so many identical items so close its not noticable.

Thanks for the follow up Hutch. You certainly seem to have the nack down that's for sure :D 10 minutes each is smoking fast!

I think the most interesting thing about your work is the blend of artistry and old fashioned production work so the projects are always intriguing/interesting one way or another.

I know (in theory) what you're saying about it coming natural, but it sure takes a lot of doing to get where the mind/body is there. A couple of years ago I was doing a lot of brewing to try and figure some details out and was getting so I could hit water temperatures within ~2F (at 150F-155 and 160-170 range) by just feeling the water (cross checking with a thermometer). It is pretty cool :D I haven't gotten anywhere near there with woodworking yet (and your suggestions mirror some things I've been working on and others I should! Still have a long ways to go; still catch myself clenching up after a while and figuring out which elements come first.. yeah.. not yet.. :huh: more time :thumb: :D).