Spalted ash

This is the piece i sent off to TX this AM. It's for the swap we're doing over on woodturners unlimited. As i checked and he's not a member here thought it would be safe to go ahead and post now. Had started out going to send him the natural edge maple i posted about a few days ago. Well as it didn't do right this is what he gets.:) 11 1/2x 4 or there abouts. Finish is 2 coats of teak oil, followed by multi coats lacquar. Lacquar knocked back and wax and hand buff. Hope he likes it.
Steve001 (800x420).jpg004 (800x437).jpg006 (800x743).jpg007 (800x724).jpg012 (800x570).jpg013 (800x565).jpg

This is the piece i sent off to TX this AM. It's for the swap we're doing over on woodturners unlimited. As i checked and he's not a member here thought it would be safe to go ahead and post now. Had started out going to send him the natural edge maple i posted about a few days ago. Well as it didn't do right this is what he gets.:) 11 1/2x 4 or there abouts. Finish is 2 coats of teak oil, followed by multi coats lacquar. Lacquar knocked back and wax and hand buff.
Hope he likes it.
Hi Stephen; I can't see why he wouldn't like it, other than all the black streaks in it!;)

It sure would have made some nice pen turning material.

Sweet wood Steve, but I especially like the profile of the bowl. Perfect deep ogee form, and it looks like you took it nice and thin, too. :clap:

Mack funny you should say that as Jim Burr got some of this for pen materal. Heck if you would like some let me know and i'll cut some up for ya.
Jim and I are two great minds that think alike!

I will send you a pm with mailing instructions to my daughter in MI. Mailing to her will minimize the mailing costs which I am prepared to absorb as well as the cost of the blanks!

Thanks for the offer!

vaughn, beat me to it but i can still add some flavor,, this bowl looks like its counter part was a proto type to get doowwnn to the nitty gritty.. i beat alight would almost show threw this one too steve.. now if you had a coring tool you could get a few bowls per blank if your gonna make them this thin:)

Mack funny you should say that as Jim Burr got some of this for pen materal. Heck if you would like some let me know and i'll cut some up for ya.

Shhhhh!!! I'm using some of that for my part in the swap!
Still have your box on the bench Steve...the P.O. down the street closed so I'll run it across town this weekend. Rotten budget cuts!!
Really though, it's so much fun to take some wood from this friend and some from that friend and make something for another friend...amazing group of folks we all know!

Shhhhh!!! I'm using some of that for my part in the swap!
Still have your box on the bench Steve...the P.O. down the street closed so I'll run it across town this weekend. Rotten budget cuts!!
Really though, it's so much fun to take some wood from this friend and some from that friend and make something for another friend...amazing group of folks we all know!
Yea bud it really is fun when you can get from one and give to others. As far as that box i'm in no hurry, Got a whole woods full of that stuff.:)