member count that are active?

We don't really have a counter that keeps track of that number. Closest thing we have is the "User Activity" stat, which I believe shows the total number of users on the forum each day. Here's the latest month's worth of data:

FW%20User%20Activity%20Stats%20March%202013.jpg

Vaughn,
Is that the number of users, or does it include users that logged on more than once? I know I often 'check in' several times per day, and I know many others (Larry, etc.) do too.

The Vbulletin manual states "The number of users that visited your board shown over a defined time frame".

So I assume it does not double count users who logged in multiple times.

Other posts I saw indicated that it also does not include guests or web crawlers.

If you are using chrome, right click in the image and select view in new tab. It should scale the image so you can see it.

Actually, if using chrome, it should scale it for it anywho.

ok, so we had a average of 150 members visit the site per day last month, that is being maintained by the members. the admins and the moderators are all members, and when the vote is open, we have gotten a 30% turnout on the average daily use member's.. is that good for a normal voting procedure? do we have a normal condition here or are we in need of some new ideas to make the members more involved? just asking some questions that i have have been thinking of. feel free to add any insights that you have on this..

Larry, I've looked in the past and if I remember correctly, we usually have between 50 and 60 people vote in each election. 47 so far this time around as of this morning so just about on pace I think. I think the box swap that Tom started is a good idea to get some more people involved...that reminds me I need to give that a go too!

my point is that, we may need to get some blood flowing here, and tom's box swap will help but there must be other things that could jump start the forum some.. put on your thinking caps and lets see what we can come up with.. without cooperation and involvement it will wither up and blow away..

I understand what Larry is talking about, it has seemed to me that over the past few months participation has been down. The same few seem to make the comments. There are far less projects being shown and discussed and more off topic subjects. Maybe it is just my perception. Not sure what to do about it but I miss seeing others projects and such.

To me the life blood of any forum is participation, and the best way to garner more of that is to have things that the folks are looking to learn or see. there are many of us that go to another forum or two, and there is something there that is drawing you to it.. so what is that you think we could add or improve upon to get more interest going again? not saying that only one magazine is enough if your a reader, i know variety is good. but if you have seen all the pictures and the how to's listed and there is nothing new, your not gonna subscribe to it next year. we have had folks offer to have a gathering at there place and one is definitely going to happen in reno,NV, which is great.. but what about the other side of the country? that seems to have dried up? ask yourself why? there can be many reasons , but i for one can tell you that any time you get a chance to meet another forum member that has like interests. you gain way more than you can imagine.. be it trust or belief in the the fact that there are good folks in this world other than what we might been under the opinion of. or a stronger relationship that was there prior.. it gives one the chance to discuss all things in life with someone you have got know a Little bit better and in this day and age we all need to talk to someone sometime..

I will give you my view and it somewhat reminds me of what I was given when I asked this question of a few old hands when first joining and during being a mod myself.

First I don't go to any other forum. This is my only regular forum for anything.
Second getting onto this forum had made me realize over the years the value of any forum on any topic. Problem with that point is its kinda like online shopping. Once you get used to the idea and use it and experience success then what the heck you use it more and more. So shops now don't see me much at all.

But that means I have been able to address many other issues that have bugged me or I wanted to get out the way etc such as car repairs etc and checking and researching various things and these have stolen time.

Time is the other big thing. I get involved in all sorts and have way too many things that interest me and business activities. I did think being an empty nester was going to leave me more time for hobby or leisure activity but it has not turned out that way so I find time is getting scarce. In my case winter was not fun with an unheated shop. Even after spending coin on a couple of heaters. I have rust coming out the ying yang now in my shop due to the couple of times I got in there and heated it up. The heating and cooling condensation creation was killing me to watch so I stopped. I spent so much time wiping things down even the non rusting stuff just to get the moisture soaked up.

Then the other big thing I find is what used to take me a few minutes now seems to take ages longer. I dunno sometimes more knowledge or information on something seems to create less productivity. I blame all of you for this, you guys educated me. LOL Now I cannot go back to my old ways and do whatever it is in an adequate way. :) IE I cannot work with a blunt tool. just for one.

I am really hoping summer changes this for me. Given it will be my first summer in the new place and with no move or house to maintain or fix up for sale. So I should theoretically get more time for shop but......I got quiet a load of business activity on the go so I dunno.

This brings me back to the single line sum up that I think it was Vaughn explained to me years ago......life gets in the way and it goes in waves and so you get more and less time for things like hobby and forum.

One last point that I think kills participation. Mobile devices. Note I said participation. Its easy to follow posts and the forum using the apps on mobile devices and yes a one liner reply is easy too but not always possible if you just having a quick peek while waiting in a reception area in my case. But actually making a post etc and posting pictures can be easy but its the typing that aint. Not looking at excuses just trying to explain.

I guess some guys also do not like the amount of off topic we have as a site and probably want more pure woodworking and posts that do more to stretch the bar.

Speaking personally I really like everything about our site I dunno how people that frequent many sites manage to keep any kind of meaningful relationship going with many thousands of users. I actually like the fact that we a relatively small bunch and it kinda reminds me of the sailing club I was involved in back in the day. We had 150 paid up members but something like 30 active attendees at races and events.

My to do list in woodworking is so darn long I also don't need more stimulation to make it longer. Would be happier right now if I could work down the list and be posting my progress. I also blame GLENN. (only joking Glenn) he has me sworn to organization before any more playing. He had nothing to do with the pledge it was a personal thing I did after many of his Bradleytizing posts. LOL.

That's my story/explanation.

larry merlau;364308.. but what about the other side of the country? that seems to have dried up? ask yourself why? there can be many reasons said:
I believe there are many reasons.
People cant commit to something so far in advance, with their careers, kids, family events, summer is a difficult time.
Offered up my place and bobs place, not so convenient.
bob lives up in the wilderness, and I live on the far east coast and its a nightmare in june with beach traffic.
Ofcourse, there are simple reasons, like noone likes me, or noone likes bob.(I like bob, Id go to his house)
For people that have to travel, and probably stay overnight, it can be an expensive day and a half. Hotel, gasoline, tolls, food, can run into a nice penny that alot of people just might not have right now.
There was a reason I suggested mid Pennsylvania, figured it would be more centralized for east coasters and the people in states like ohio, indiana, illinois, michigan, etc.
I dont think its going to happen, but I hope brents get together takes place, someone has to remember to set up oovoo or some other form of webcams.