Fun and Adventures in Guitarland

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
I got to sit in with some buddies playing last night at a nearby roadhouse. Small crowd, but most of them were friends, and a good time was had by all.

Mollys%20April%204%202013%20800.jpg

I did have a slight problem with bleeding on my strings, though. A week or so ago, I overdid things while practicing and got a blister on my left ring finger...the finger I use the most when bending strings. (Shows how out of shape my playing callouses were.) By the time I rehearsed with the boys Monday night, the blister had hardened and peeled, and I had a decent callous base underneath it. Then Tuesday night, I overdid it again practicing at home, and ended up with another blister. Playing 7 or 8 songs Wednesday night (with a lot of string bending) was probably not prudent, because by about the third song, the blister had turned into a cut, and I was bleeding on my guitar. It doesn't look like much, but it stung like crazy and was in the exact spot where the string hit my finger. It made the remaining songs pretty challenging, for sure.

Guitar%20Fingers%20800.jpg

And it's at least as sore today while typing as it was last night while playing. Ow ow ow ow ow. I know, I'm a wimp. :rolleyes:

As an aside, it was brought to my attention this morning that Jeff (the bass player on the right side of the photo above) are in our 5th decade of sharing stages and playing in front of people. We started playing together in about 1975, and have a lot of war stories to tell. :D

That's great Vaughn. Too bad that old geezer with the guitar got in the way, we can't see you in the picture :rofl:. Glad to hear some of us can still get out there and have some fun playing (blisters and failed callouses aside). I sat down at the keyboard the other day and wasn't sure which keys were which; pathetic.

well aside from the being old vaughn i am sure all had a good time,, and your cut is just one thing that those of us who havnt played a lick would even think of as hazards of thejob.. and hear i thought it was all wine ,roses and ladiies:)

At least you can make it through 1 whole song!

Great picture Vaughn, and you can't buy friends like that...

5th decade of playing together? youre old.

88aa5a9708fe10faa3529b8420fc07aa.jpg

Looks like a good time. Might try keeping some super glue on hand and give it some new skin as needed, drys pretty quick.

I actually asked around last night to see if anyone had some. :D Of course, the better solution is to play enough to keep this kind of thing from happening. Back when I was doing it for a living and playing 8+ hours daily, I could put a cigarette out on the tip of that finger and it would just feel a bit warm.

Think positive...at least it's not your nose pickin finger:D

We have roadies for that. :p You can pick your friends, but you've gotta pay someone to pick your nose. :rofl:

...Now, if someone had made a video of that, whoopee, good listening...

At this point, most people would agree that my playing sounds better in still pictures. :D Actually, there were a couple of people getting cell phone videos. If any of them are worth sharing, I'll let you all know.

When Vaughn was born, the Big Dipper was just a Dixie Cup :rofl: :rolleyes: :rofl:

You just wait, wise guy. :cool: One day you'll be old like me and Allen and we'll be laughing and pointing at you, because we'll still be more handsome than you. :rofl:

You sure are having a lot of fun. I don't think you have any plans of coming back to LA.

I'd love to hear you play now. You were a little rusty when the Tour-De-Wood passed thru LA.

I have an inkling of how you feel...pulled my Dot and Classic 30 out 2 weeks ago and came to an epiphany...I sucked!! Practicing my booty off since I have all sorts of time after work and can't turn until I get home. I have total confidence given you are the Prince of Punk, the Doctor of Doom and the Curse of Hertz Rent-a-Car...ala Jimmy Buffet!

Last edited: