great day for shop today, horrible day for shop today

allen levine

and it all happenned the same moment.

great news is that today was the first day of this year I was able to work comfortably in the shop in a pair of shorts.

horrible news is that the shorts I use for shop work, the ones that after losing 50 lbs in 2011-12 winter, I decided to hold for shop use, fit me alot more snug today then they did last summer.

not happy about that, just cant seem to stop myself from eating the food I want, not the food that is healthy.

worst part of it all, is that after dropping the weight at the end of 2011, I felt so much better, was able to put in double the amount of shop time and moved much better.

I gotta get a grip again, this is going to end me quickly if I dont take control soon.

eh, bad subject, but a huge problem, especially for a person who WANTS to spend 8 hours a day on his hobby, this is stopping me and not helping my back or knees any.

not blaming anyone but myself, but at his age, 58, it seems my entire social life revolves around eating.

its like this every weekend. Now even weeknights, my wife will yell to me, hey, bobby and marie want to go for dinner tomorrow night, ok..(not a question, just a comment), the next night, paul and anne are going to dinner with us friday night, ok, next night, mitch and cindy are meeting us for dinner saturday night, ok. next night, linda and fred want to know what we are doing for dinner sunday night, and then btw, the kids are coming over monday for dinner, do you want to go to your favorite italian restaurant?
oh, were picking up lindsey at the airport tues night, lets take her out to dinner before she leaves.

this is becoming my life, as much as I want to say no more, I dont, and I know I can eat healthy outside, but when I open the menu, oh boy, like a kid in a candy store.

You did it once Allen; you can do it again. And you know that you enjoyed feeling the results. ;)

And I'm on the other end of the spectrum...I've started going to the gym and being more conscientious about what I eat because I'd like to add 5 to 10 pounds. But unlike you, I eat alone 99% of the time, and some days I don't even bother to eat until sometime late at night, when it dawns on me that I'm hungry. :rolleyes:

Allen, I too dropped some pounds last year (about 35) and the same thing happened to me last night when I put on some shorts for the first time since last fall. I got them buttoned, but I made sure no one was directly in front of me all night just in case the button became a bullet. I lost mine by riding my bike...gonna dust it off tomorrow morning if it isn't raining...I think I remember you walking quite a bit back then...why not walk to the restaurants or at least walk home after if others want to drive. I'm riding to meet my BIL at a bar for biscuts and gravy and bloody marys tomorrow after my ride. :huh::rolleyes: Hope that helps. :D

In all honesty, you are a pretty determined guy as far as I can see...you can do it again. Getting started is hard, but it'll be worth it! :thumb:

Allen, I know exactly what your talking about. I simply enjoy the taste of food. I eat for the taste...not because I'm hungry. In fact I rarely feel hungry. Thats because I'm always eating something. Hersey chocolate is a real problem for me. I simply enjoy the flavor. About 20 years ago I made a decision to change my eating habits and joined a gym, exercised and ate better and lost about 30 pounds. However I gained all of it and more back. I REALLY want to lose the pounds but cant seem to give up the taste of food.

I do know that it helps if you have someone to have to answer to that will help keep you honest about what and how much you eat.

I was seeing a nutritionist once a month, once I was diagnosed with diabetes, but its like she was just holding my hand like I was a child, and my insurance didnt pay for it, so I decided to stop seeing her.
Im thrilled my children are thin and have excellent eating habits, I was always worried they might take after me , but they enjoy themselves and understand how to eat properly.

tonight didnt help, we went out to a new italian restaurant, but I laid off the hot homemade bread. it wasnt easy. The chicken parm was enough.

allen i know you know the severity of diabetes,, and i also know the desire to eat good food,, but if you put the will power to it like you do the projects you can get back in control of it..

Same here Allen. I've put on almost 40 pounds over the winter. It's really depressing after losing so much weight. I need to be more active and cut back on the desserts.
Now that spring is here I'm sure my energy level will pick up and I'll have the motivation to start the diet again.

none of my close friends have weight issues.

last night it was dinner at an italian restaurant, and tonight, a completely different crowd, to watch the final four, they all wanted to order in italian, and we didnt want to be a party pooper.
seems all the local places near me are having coupon wars, competing with each other, we benefit, we search for the best deals, and ordered in.
And man, we all ate, and everyone who came brought enough cake and desserts to feed a small country.
At least I resisted any and all desserts.

seems I cant escape this, my friends are all similar to us, grown kids out of the house, looking foward to retirement, and weekends are for hanging out with friends, and eating.
Noone wants to cook anymore, Ive got some battle in front of me.

..... Ive got some battle in front of me.

Hang in there Allen, after the front battle is won, everything else is behind you:rofl: ...I feel your pain as I too luv's me food...Mental state helps the most IMO, I've lost close to 60 lb's since last Halloween, but what's more impressive to me is that 15 of those came off in the last 34 day's since I quit smoking {again :eek:}..Like you I try to pass on the desserts, the rest, for me anyways, has come from portion control...eat whatever I want just limit the pleasure :thumb:...you can do it!!!

Luckily no issues on that front myself (I like to eat, it just has little effect), I do try to stay supportive/encouraging of others who do though. Its certainly a lot harder when those around you are horking it down, if you can get your cohorts on board it would make it a lot easier. Restaurant food is the worst to, the calories/serving are ridiculous!

Can't offer any real advice except encouragement and good words towards hanging in there. We're all rooting for you!

"Hang in there Allen, after the front battle is won, everything else is behind you:rofl: ..."

Ken that is awful!!!!!
It is also awful funny!

Sometime around the end of WWII I made a decision. I don't know how I was smart enough to make it; it certainly was not maturity. Have a tiny bit of patience; I'm going to work up to it.

The following is written as a question. However, consider it a statement: If you are not honest with yourself, how can you be honest with others?
Honesty with yourself is the key.

My decision was to make one decision instead of 10, 100 or a thousand. Even though I was not a thief, my first resolve was, "I will not steal." I would see something I wanted and I would see how easy it would be to steal it. This lead to inner turmoil. It would be so easy to do. It isn't right to do it. etc. etc.

I am a sweet a holic. As a kid I would eat anything sweet, even if I didn't like it. Let's face it those peach colored candy p-nuts in the shell, do not taste good---if I could lay my hands on it I would eat the entire bag. If I got an ice cream bar, I would do my best to finagle two more. In that era I could purchase three candy bars (Babe Ruth, Snickers, etc.) for a dime---I did and I ate them. So I resolved that my sugar would not go over 100. That pretty much put deserts on the Taboo list. Bye-bye sugared yams. Potatoes, rice, pasta, breads were all relegated to much smaller portions.

I became (probably always was) gluten intolerant. When I went on the diet I resolved never to cheat (one decision instead a decision every time for a few thousand times). I resolved that I would not be bothered by what other people eat; I would not be enticed (one decision instead of a decision every time for a few thousand times).

If you are honest with yourself, you can make it work. Let your friends know about it. Kid them into helping you instead of hindering you.

I wish you all of the best in your endeavor.

Enjoy good health and feeling good. You can also throw an egg at people who tell you how to live your life.

JimB

well jim some of your advice is good but then look at what happened to you :) you never got big like glenn and the others that are around you:) so maybe you needed a little bit more to be a full sized guy physically and yes we know your way above average in the knowledge department:)