Rolling Work Table Gets Re-sized

glenn bradley

This beast is like an old friend. I realized early on that I would need a versatile worksurface in the shop. This was my first and last project to be built on the floor ;). Some recent changes around the shop have prompted some tough decisions. The scrap bins got expanded and many scraps got reclassified as firewood. I have been cramped since the oscillating edge sander joined the crew nearly a year ago. The once generous worksurface on top of the rolling cabinet had to give.

As a point of interest, I made this unit with a replaceable hardboard top. I have never replaced it despite using this surface for nearly every piece I build. This is what led to me not bothering with a hardboard top for my workbench which is MDF. It also needs not maintenance as of yet. Not for lack of work. I just followed many of the tips from folks on the forum in preparing my top surfaces and all has been well; thanks everybody . . . but, I digress . . .

Here he is in a shot from a shop tour back in 2009:

7-rolling-table.jpg

So, I took the circular saw to the poor beast and here's how things ended up:

Rolling Table Cut Down (1).jpg . Rolling Table Cut Down (2).jpg . Rolling Table Cut Down (3).jpg

Much more flow-through room now and hopefully a lot less bruised hips.