Lie Nielsen to export hand tool to China

Warms the cockles of my heart to see this. Nothing better for me.
I have never doubts that many Canadian and US products could be exported to China. All it takes is to go there meet people develop relationships and begin selling. Its not complicated.
But....you have to develop relationships not contracts. The other thing is u got to do it with a long term mentality. Like customers anywhere they too do not want to buy something and find 1 year later the company pulled out and left them in the lurch which has happened often because westerners fail to understand the way they do business in China.
The other thing is niche markets. China is geared for mass production but not that great on low volume non mass produced product.
If I could do it from South Africa and I aint no NASA rocket scientist just a joe that believes it can be done, and do it in the hi tech commercial goods market then heck others can too.
But you got to invest the time and effort to understand the customer.
I started by taking my wife to China on honeymoon how many business guys would do that? :)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Not to be a Debby Downer ( i'm really quite happy for a New England Company) but how long do you think they will need before they copy it and start selling them here. Patents don't mean squat in China.

Not to be a Debby Downer ( i'm really quite happy for a New England Company) but how long do you think they will need before they copy it and start selling them here. Patents don't mean squat in China.
The Chinese don't need to make a deal with LN to be able to copy the planes. They could get a friend to buy a set of planes here in the US and ship them to China. I believe the reason the Chinese would want LN tools is the "Brand" name. My observation of wealthy Asians is that they like brand names, in tools, clothes, bags, etc.

I'm familiar with Japanese motorcycle clubs that specialize in Harley Davidson bikes (every member owns a HD), even though the Japanese bikes are quite a bit less expensive and perhaps better bikes. They just want the brand of "Harley Davidson". I think it's the same with LN tools - it's a status symbol.

I'm sure that China has already copied LN planes (WoodRiver, for example) and could sell them to Chinese customers if all they wanted was a cheaper version of the LN plane.

Mike

[Did you know that 96% of all the Harley Davidson bikes ever made are still on the road? The other 4% made it home.:)]

Last edited: