Elm Urn WIP

Nate Davey

Had our monthly guild meeting Saturday, excellent meeting had a metallurgical engineer give a class on sharpening. One of the guys in the guild is an arborist, so he always brings the "fruits of his labor" for the group. By coincidence he also happens to have a Nichols lathe, so always saves some nice chunks for me. This week was Elm week. I picked up two 14x20 pieces. Here is one on the lathe
Elm Log.jpg
And here's what I found trapped inside. I'm rough it out to 1" thickness, will let it dry, then finish turn. As of right now, I still have some sap wood on the sides so should be an interesting contrast. Form is 19" long and 10" wide. It's center drilled and wrapped in plastic until I can get back to it. Stand by for more
Elm Rough Out 01.jpgElm Urn Rough Out.jpg

Here it is roughed out. 19"x10"x1". I want to round the shoulder a bit more and reduce the hight of the "funnel" when I finish turn. It's in a bag drying now with copious amounts of CA on the pith. Log started at about 60lbs and it's now down to about 25lbs. Elm sure smells like a barnyard when it's wet.......Sorry Les :D

Elm Urn Roughed Out.jpg