Yesterday's Treasures

Bill Lantry

Hey, folks,

So I made another trip to Craig's shop yesterday. Took many hours, but when I got back I had a full pickup load again...

I'll start with the small stuff...

Here's a brand new (to me!) router plane. I'm guessing it's a few decades old. Never been used, or even put together:

IMAG0091.jpg

And now, a barely used profile sander. Just it time to refinish the pew:

IMAG0092.jpg

Auger bits: there are actually three times that many. Nice box. I said "I don't have a brace," so he handed me one... ;)

IMAG0093.jpg

Brand new, never assembled, Makita slow speed water cooled sharpening system. Wow!

IMAG0094.jpg

And a ton of inlay material. Guess I need to learn to make boxes...

IMAG0095.jpg

IMAG0097.jpg

On to the next post...

Last edited:
next, the bigger stuff:

Never had an 8" grinder before. Been making do all these years with 6" wheels for sharpening my lathe tools. I'm pretty excited about this. Looks like I can retire my old one to nothing but metal grinding...

IMAG0099.jpg

IMAG0100.jpg

And now, drum roll please....

Hey, those things look like shaper cutters

IMAG0098.jpg

Why would he have those lying around? Unless...

IMAG0101.jpg

That, my friends, is the first shaper I've ever had in my shop! I have one cardinal rule for tools: everything must be on wheels. I already have a stand built:

IMAG0102.jpg

And now, for the big enchilada. My first piece of old iron: a pre- WWII Walker Turner 6" jointer, with stand (not shown). In perfect working order. All the parts are there. Life is good!

IMAG0103.jpg

IMAG0104.jpg

IMAG0105.jpg

IMAG0106.jpg

I'm feeling pretty lucky today. I'm going to have lots of questions about how to work a shaper. But for today, I'm just smiling...

Thanks,

Bill

congratulations.

And obligatory "you suck"...
YouSuck.jpg

Very nice haul! So, will the writing be neglected with all these new tools to play with? :)

Doorlink's already bugging me about this. She wants the work done, but she wants the writing done too! She just reminded me I'm late on the contract for the next book. But it's a nice day outside, so I brought home some stripper gel. She raised her eyebrows at that one, until I explained... ;)

Off to go try it...

Thanks,

Bill

you done very well with that old friend,, he must think very highly of you to part with so much goodies.. it would be hard to get back to writing with all the new toys to play with.. maybe they will inspire another book of poems or a story line???