Guess What's Coming

Well, the buildup and responses have been more fun than actually receiving the new toy, but I'll let the cat out of the bag. I bought a small keyboard amp/PA...first piece of music gear I've bought in probably about 7 years.

Since I don't really play keyboards and I sing like a choked frog, you may be wondering why I bought a keyboard amp/PA. As I mentioned earlier, I have a floor pedal device (called the POD XT Live) that can accurately sound like of dozens of amplifier and speaker combinations. It sounds great through headphones, studio monitor speakers, or a good PA system, but it leaves something to be desired when it's plugged into a regular guitar amp. (Guitar amps are designed to color and shape the sound, so they don't do a real good job of accurately and transparently handling something like the POD.) A keyboard amp, on the other hand, is designed to just provide clean amplification with little or no alteration...perfect fit for the POD. Until now, whenever I'd sit in and play with my buddies, I was just plugging into their small PA system, but by doing so, my guitar was muddying up the vocals and the acoustic guitar. With the new amp, I'll be able to keep my sound separate from the PA and hopefully help the whole mix sound better. And if need be for larger venues, I can plug this amp into the PA and still use it as a stage monitor.

So here's the new toy...it'a a Behringer K900FX...essentially a relatively inexpensive three-channel mini-PA (30 watts per channel) with not a lot of bells and whistles. It does have some built-in effects like reverb and echo, but I don't expect to be using those since the POD has all that and much, much more.

Behringer%20K900FX%203%20-%20800.jpg

Behringer%20K900FX%202%20-%20800.jpg

I'm anxious to see how things work out with the new amp. I'm hoping it sounds better with the POD than my Mesa Boogie Studio 22. (Which is an awesome amp...just not for this application.)

And for those with sharp eyes, the boxed Fender Frontman amp on the side of the first pic is a surprise gift for a friend's 15 year old daughter. Don't tell anyone. ;)

Nice!

I only rarely play through an amp anymore. Almost everything I do is through the computer to headphones. I use "Guitar Rig 4" as my main amp/whatever. It lets you put together pretty much whatever amp/effect combo you can dream up.

I do find that the guitar I start with does still color the output. So I still switch between guitars at times.

Still, I have a desire to get a small generator and haul my amp and a guitar up on the hill side behind the house and see what the coyotes think.

I can relate to the headphones bit. This is the second time since early 2001 that I've played through an amp. (Played through the Mesa Boogie a couple of weeks ago rehearsing with my buddies.) I've really had no need to use an amp until now, but as I learn more songs, I'll be playing more and more with these guys. They like the addition of a few electric guitar parts to their acoustic rock/pop repertoire. Kinda funny, but this "band" started as Mike Grimes (an old student of mine) playing solo acoustic guitar and singing. Then Jeff Donohoe (Mike's old roommate and my bass-playing partner since 1975) started playing his acoustic bass and singing with Mike. Jeff took most the vocals, since he's a stronger singer. They became "Donohoe and Grimes". Then several years later, Donnie Frank started sitting in with them on drums, playing soft, light stuff for the most part. The new name was "Donnie 'Hoe and Grimes". (Donnie and I didn't really get to know each other until I moved back to ABQ, but he played for years in a band with another good friend of mine and yet another former student.) Now, when I'm playing with them, it's "Donnie 'Hoe and McGrimes". :D

Oh, and an update...the new Behringer amp sounds great with the POD. Much better than the Mesa Boogie. Very clean and definitely plenty loud enough. :thumb: The DH&G boys are gonna be very pleased. ;)

Glad your getting back into something you enjoy so much since your without your woodshop.:thumb: I guess you never actually stopped being a musician, but your stepping up your involvement again I guess. Congrats!

What's the little effects box that you use? I've got a little zoom with thousands of effects, but it's soo much easier to click things in software.

Very cool. I bought some Behringer monitors a while back for mine. I just play through the Tascam US200 and some Wave software on the computer, been very happy with them.

Oh, and an update...the new Behringer amp sounds great with the POD. Much better than the Mesa Boogie. Very clean and definitely plenty loud enough. :thumb: The DH&G boys are gonna be very pleased. ;)

Sounds like your neighbors are going to be pleased too, though there is a big difference between someone that can play vs. someone that is learning to play. Luckily I'm far enough from my neighbors they either think I'm torturing a cat or finishing out a set by destroying my guitar. ;)

No Play-Doh?...rats. Nice amp though!! You should pick those songs up with about 3 minutes of practice, but what about a name change to McHoe? And a Frontman for a gift...I could use a new toy!!

What's the little effects box that you use? I've got a little zoom with thousands of effects, but it's soo much easier to click things in software.

The POD XT Live. They don't make it anymore, but they have other similar boxes. I also have the M-Audio Black Box (that I've used very little and need to sell on eBay one of these days), but Line 6 really has the modeling technology down cold.

...Sounds like your neighbors are going to be pleased too, though there is a big difference between someone that can play vs. someone that is learning to play. Luckily I'm far enough from my neighbors they either think I'm torturing a cat or finishing out a set by destroying my guitar. ;)

The torturing cat song is my favorite. I play it all the time. :D Aside from a few short bursts, I generally keep the volume down low enough it can talked over. It does help that the unit next door is empty, though. (I'm in an end unit, so I've only got a neighbor on one side.)

I'm too old for the loud stuff anymore. Kind of funny seeing the difference in setting up and tearing down the stage compared to the old days. Way back when, we'd go into the bar Monday afternoon and spend 4 or 5 hours setting up all the equipment, including huge PA, lights, stage backdrop, etc. Heck, we even ran our own power distribution system tapped into the mains of the building. (We'd typically tear it down and pack it up in about an hour on Saturday night.) These days, everyone shows up about 30 minutes before showtime. They set their amp on stage, put a couple little 50 pound PA speakers on stands, plug in a few cords, and they're set to go.

I do feel sorry for my parents, though. In my early band days (before we rented a warehouse for rehearsals) we'd practice in my parents' den. They would sit in the living room with the TV cranked up to 11 while we were in the next room damaging our hearing. We'd stop in between songs, and hear the TV announcer saying

Stay tuned for Dallas at 9:00 o'clock!!!!!

Lol i was waiting to see the explosion darn i figured had to be thermite or whatever its called.

But ......now according to legends and great tradditions of the woodworking brotherhood......you owe us a video with sound so we can hear and judge for ourselves this here new amp story. And we dont mean an Aparto special......since equity union killed any chance of my youth being filled with attending great rock concerts like u guys....i need to hear it live from the stage. :) :);)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2