Processing/Saving Cherry Burls

Mike Turner

I have a few medium sized cherry burls I picked up 6 or 8 weeks ago....actually cut then. I cut them and decided to take the bark off of them because of insects maybe and anchorseal them...actually did the whole piece...I checked today and some are cracking so Ive got to go ahead and turn/save what I can before they go too far...Any suggestions??..I thought about soaking in DNA after turning ad then anchorseal again until I they dry some.Unsure on all this ????? Any suggestions welcomed !! Thanks

This may seem arbitrary Mike, but what do you want to make; HF's, bowls, platters? Burls are so crazy that you never know what will work. DNA won't work well in an unturned form since the wall thickness is uneven. If you turn it out, I'd go for the DNA couple of week maybe, newspaper it up well and wait. You may want to weight on a semi daily basis, but JMHO.

Jim, probably a hollow form or bowl depending on what I can get out of each one. Some may be throw a ways, but I probably can salvage a little something out of each one. I guess a good experiment. Ill post some results as I progress...

Best thing to do is wrap them up and ship them to NH:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Ok what I do is just toss them in the shop and see what I can get out of them in a few years.