What a day...

John Pollman

It's Friday and the weekend is right around the corner. Today started out pretty good, but turned to poo rather quickly. First thing this morning I drove down to the lumber yard and picked up a bunch of nice 4/4 Maple for a butcher block base that I have to build for a client. I was going to glue up the legs to make them 4x4. When I got to the lumber yard, I lucked out and found that they had a 6' chunk of 4x4 already glued up and ready to go. That was enough to do three of the legs so that will save me a lot of glue up time. I picked up all of the lumber and headed home. As I've done MANY times, I just slid the back window of my truck open and set the front edge of the two 12' and one 11' hard maple boards on the dash and let the rest sit on the tonneau cover. I left the lumber yard and headed home. I decided to make a side trip and stop to see a buddy who works not far from where I was so I stopped at his place for a few. After we talked for a bit and he checked out my new stock of lumber, he headed back in to work and I got in the truck to head home. As I got in the truck, I noticed the huge crack in my windshield! (No more hauling wood that way for me) There goes a nice chunk of the profit from this job. :( I'm pretty sure that I'm carrying a $100 deductible for comp on my policy. But someone told me to shop around and I may be able to find a shop that will waive the deductible. (keeping fingers crossed ;) )

That bites. I remember stopping for a bottle of coke one time (back when they were still glass), sat on the dash and forgot I put it up there after buckling up. On the first turn it slide all the way to the passenger side and slammed into the corner of the windshield causing it to crack all the way across. I think I lucked out and had a 0 deductible on glass replacement, since we lived on gravel roads and got rock chips often, dad made us pay for it on our insurance.

About 5 or 6 years ago, just before getting off the expressway, a truck kicked up a rock and chipped my windshield. I was bummed. But I got off the expressway and stopped at a Taco Bell for lunch. I was pulling my boat so I pulled into the shopping center parking lot right behind the Taco Bell. As I parked, there was a truck parked there with a sign "Free Windshield Repair". :) I gave him my insurance info and he got started. I ate and shortly after I was done eating, it was repaired!