Tablesaw Under Wing Drawer Unit

glenn bradley

I can only blame myself for getting distracted between doing a client piece and resuming the kitchen hutch I am making for myself. I got it in my head that I needed some more storage under the tablesaw right wing area. This will be a simple frameless carcass with full extension drawers. Even though I have several methods of elevating work, I found myself staring to assemble this thing on my workbench and on the ground(???).

Shop Made Levelers (8).jpg . Shop Made Levelers (9).jpg . TS Drawers (1).jpg

My larger sled makes cutting larger panels truly square a quickly do-able thing.

TS Drawers (2).jpg

I have found that on fixtures like this I have no need of a removable back. I do want the back off when I install the glides so, I tape it in place to help keep the carcass square until I am done with that phase.

TS Drawers (3).jpg

I finally figured out that I don't have to hunch over this thing on the floor anymore . . .
The torsion beams will work fine as an assembly surface for the rest of this job.

TS Drawers (4).jpg

I'm on call for work this week and I keep getting interrupted . . . :doh:

I cut a bottom panel and drill access holes to reach the lever adjustments. I put this in with glue and pocket holes.

TS drawers (5).jpg . TS drawers (6).jpg

Time to break for a snack.

Last edited:
Glenn there are times when i wonder if you have mental telepathy on the go with a bunch of us. You seem to post the most appropriate projects at somehow just the right time. Its as if you are a mind reader and know just what is needed when.

I wrestle with this space and the desire to fix it all the time. Mostly due to space limitations i found i have to keep my saw mobile. Then i always say so what do i do with the cabinet if its not part of the mix when i want to move it.

But in reality the answer really is for me to find a place that can work for the TS set it down and then if needs be move the other things out the way when needed which is not that often and given i am making everything else mobile , well it certainly would help.

The other thing is you come up with great easy no excuse get er done quick instant gratification projects.:thumb:

Can you do something about the weather now please....:rofl:

Thanks Glenn for posting.

Man Glenn that must be one heck of a snack....:rofl:

It sure was. I went in for a quick bite and the next thing I knew I was down at dad's house!?! We built a rack to hold his tablesaw fence, built a sandpaper faced sac-fence (and found a home) for his miter gauge, relocated his blade rack and made cleats to hold two 60+ pound slabs of steel to the sides of his lathe stand . . . . now where was I . . . .

Oh yeah, cutting drawer parts . . . .

TS drawers (7).jpg

and more drawer parts . . . .

TS drawers (8).jpg

Time to cut slots for drawer bottoms . . . .

TS drawers (9).jpg

OK, now for a boat load of pocket holes. I have used pocket hole joinery for shop drawers at dad's and they have been in service for years without failure. For this "basic function" shop cabinet I will abandon my preferred drawer-lock joint and give the pocket holes a try.

Last edited:
And here I thought ya were just taken a nap after a BIG snack .........:rofl:

The nap is over . . . Oh, wait a minute . . I was at work :rolleyes:. Anyway, the sled makes quick work out of making drawer bottoms.

TS drawers (10).jpg . TS drawers (11).jpg . TS drawers (12).jpg

Time to glue up some drawer boxes . . . .

TS drawers (13).jpg

Last edited:
It sure was. I went in for a quick bite and the next thing I knew I was down at dad's house!?! We built a rack to hold his tablesaw fence, built a sandpaper faced sac-fence (and found a home) for his miter gauge, relocated his blade rack and made cleats to hold two 60+ pound slabs of steel to the sides of his lathe stand . . . . now where was I . . . .

He forgot to mention the humor, laughter, removing 80 pounds of electric motors off of the lathe bench, removing and replacing a 65 pound steel plate from the lathe bench top, taking his mother and me to lunch, assisting in design of a platform to make me taller in front of my lathe, finding a home for the "hold down" TS miter, finding places to store several things where they would be more handy, and who knows what else.

We have a way of working until both of us are silly and so tired that the hot tub seems like Heaven before going to bed.

Pics attached to show the three roughly 15 x 15 x 1 inch steel plates in place. The walnut and maple on the lathe is the start of a custom awl handle. It seems that regular awl handles are too small for his hand and they never make the pointy end strong enough to keep him from making them look like a letter "J." I'd pity Schwartzenager (spelling?) if he and Glenn got into it.

The pics show the right end of the bench with steel plate #1.
Right end of bench with longer turning tools put back in place. Still plate #1.
Left end of bench with plate #2.
Entire bench showing plate on bench top. Plate #3.

Oh yes, the entire South 3/4 of the shop got Glennized. I mean you can even tell what color the lathe is now.

Enjoy,
JimB

Seeing the pic reminded me that we moved the router table and its DC also.

Attachments

• IMG_1794.jpg
    IMG_1794.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1796.jpg
    IMG_1796.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1797.jpg
    IMG_1797.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1798.jpg
    IMG_1798.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Well Jim, you can rest assured that lathe bench sure isn't going to blow away in the wind. Looks like you two did a great job.

/threadjack

So Jim reading between the lines here am i correct in guessing this has to do with turning that chunk of walnut??

Sorry Glenn for the threadjack :)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

So what's with the heavy steel plates Jim? To keep Glenn from "borrowing" your lathe? :D Vibration dampening? :huh: Keeping the lathe bench from hopping around? :rolleyes: Theft prevention? :rofl:

Last edited:
OK, vearing everyone back on topic :type:. Yeah, right; like I've never thread-jacked a topic :D.

Hope to finish up the drawer glue-ups and start installing the slides tonight . . . .

TS drawers (14).jpg

P.s. The weights on the lathe are anti-hopping devices.

Last edited:
I got a little farther than planned so that's a nice change :).

TS drawers (15).jpg

Note of interest (to me anyway) you can see that after a recent re-org I can now assemble things away from the outfeed path of the tablesaw . . . oh joy!!!

Last edited:
I got a little farther than planned so that's a nice change :).

View attachment 75147

Note of interest (to me anyway) you can see that after a recent re-org I can now assemble things away from the outfeed path of the tablesaw . . . oh joy!!!

Oh those lovely drawers, just aching to be filled. If they were not so far away I would consider drawer jacking.
Beautiful work, as always, Glenn.

Enjoy,
JimB