Baby Gate Plans?

Matt Fornes

Anyone have a good set of baby gate plans? I need to build a couple for the house. Doorways are 47.25" wide. I searched on here but didnt really find any.

Thanks,

Matt

Matt,

What are you thinking about as far as securing the gate when it is closed? How do you intend to attach it in the doorway? Are there already doors in the openings.

Maybe something like this?

Last edited:
The wife would like a swing open gate in the middle or off to one side. There are no doors. Its just an entryway for lack of a better term. The problem is that we just recently relocated to the area and are renting while we look to buy. I would hate to spend a bunch to make nice gates and then be gone in 6 months with gates specifically built for this size door. But if I skimp we will be here for 2 years. Its just my luck. That's just my luck. But at least I have a little room to do some woodworking now.

Matt

So since it is a rental place, do you want to or can you put holes in the wall to mount a swinging gate? Do you have room to open a gate that wide? Have you looked at commercially made expanding baby gates? People don't need baby gates for very long and I bet you could find a pile of them on Craigslist. I'm not trying to talk you out of building one but I wonder if you might find one that would work for your current location.

If you're set on building one, the gate should be pretty straightforward. Simple mortise and tenon joinery--maybe bridle joints at the end for looks. Use maple or cherry and round over all the edges and sand them smooth so no splinters orsharp corners for the little cherub to get damaged on. Gate or T-strap hinges on one side and either a sliding bolt or cooler, a spring latch made of maple.

So then you should build something else. Something that you'll use for a long time and hand down to your offspring.

Already looking for toy chest plans. Trying to find something nice that could be used later as a blanket chest and then later given back to my son when he has his own children. Finding a style I like is a little difficult but I will keep looking. Would like to have something built for him by his birthday, may 10th. Its his first.

Matt