Valspar! R-A-N-T!!!

Paul Douglass

Anyone used Home Depot's Valspar paint? My son-in-law used it in his house and now I remember him complaining that is had a "tacky" feel even after being on his doors for months. I did not pay too much attention..... I have now used Valspar on the organ I am building. Several months after painting the pressure box it still has a "tacky" feel. Being I has since painted the rest of the parts with the same paint I am "STUCK" so to speak with this "tacky" feel. Last time I will use Valspar. Because I wanted this paint job to be extra nice I ... read the directions ... and followed them (something I rarely do, I'm a man) (maybe that is why I have this 'tacky" problem!)! Recommended undercoat, dry times and all. I AM NOT HAPPY ABOUT THIS!

Had the same problem with Valspar paint from Lowes. I can't remember for sure which one it was (old man's memory) but I stripped the cabinet down and redid it with Behr. Never had a problem with it. I can tell you one thing when we paint the inside of the house it won't be Valspar.

Well, I received a response from Valspar this AM. That was quick, and a surprise, I really didn't expect one. This is the response:

" Mr. Douglass:
We are sorry to hear you had issues with one of our paints. You might try getting the street organ into the outside in direct sunlight. Sometimes that is enough to get the paint to cure.
If that doesn't work the tacky paint would need to be removed and the street organ repainted.
Do you still have the receipt for the Latex Enamel Paint? If you do and you can mail the receipt to the address below to my attention along with your full name, address and phone number I can process a refund check for you.

Ann K. Paré
Consumer Relations Representative, Consumer "

Of coarse I do not have the receipt, I bought the paint a couple months ago. Besides I want the paint to cure not my money back. Guess I have wait for a warm sunny day.

Just saying beware of Valspar paint, at least their latex enamel.

I had trouble with Valspar interior wall paint from Lowe's a couple years ago. (I didn't think Home Depot sold that brand). After cutting a nice edge along the trim, I came back later and found the paint drying on the wall of my son's home had sagged, and was now thicker on the baseboard than on the wall.

I let it dry, cleaned up the mess, and repainted with Behr from Home Depot, without problem.

My problem was different, but I will still never buy Valspar paint again.

Paul -- interesting that you should have the "sticky" problem with Valspar. Several years ago I repainted our whole house interior with Sherwin Williams "Duration" brand interior latex, matt on the walls, and semi-gloss on the trim. After two years you could put your hand on the trim and still have it come away feeling clammy. You'd think that no matter what the curing time is supposed to be, 2 years would be long enough for most any paint to completely cure.

I did happen to have the receipt, and I took the mostly empty can back to Sherwin-Williams and described the sad story. They shook their heads and couldn't figure out what the problem might be -- even after calling the dealer hot line. But they were good about it. They mixed up a new gallon and didn't charge me the normal $45. So, I was happy to get the paint, but I will try some other brand next time.

I have to say I'm getting response, maybe even more than I want. I have had 3 e-mails from Valspar, they say they are going to run tests on that batch..... okay. I don't really care at this point, it won't fix my little problem. I've had one e-mail from Home Depot, and two phone calls from the local store managers. I will call him back tomorrow to discuss possible remedies. I couldn't tie up the phone today, I was wait for a call on the delivery of my NEW drill press. Anyway, at least they are listening and trying to please me. I'm going to ask the paint expert what thinks about painting over it with another paint. I doubt it that is wise, but I will ask. Maybe a light close to it or a heat lamp. Maybe we will get some war sunny weather soon and I can set it outside and let the bugs stick to it..... no it is not really that bad.

I was wait for a call on the delivery of my NEW drill press.

:lurk:

No idea on remedies but I feel your pain and thanks for the heads up. We had some epoxy that was used for a computer room floor that was mixed improperly and 10 YEARS later it was still wet in spots. If you were pulling cables under the raised floor you didn't wear your good clothes.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?142065-Paint-drying-question - similar issues.
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...__99018263-Signature-Colors-Satin-Lowe-s.html and .. yep.

Okay! You can all quit chuckling now. I was at Home Depot this A.M. Went through the paint department, was going to get the Valspar color I'm using and see if they could match it with one of their other brands. Couldn't find it so I asked. The sweet little says, "I'm sorry sir, we do not sell Valspar, that is sold at Lowe's". Not to look like a fool I said, "ya, I knew that and it is a good thing you don't see it, it sucks!" So I get home and at the time the store manager was suppose to be at work, I called, as his message from the previous day requested. He was busy with another person so I left a message telling him he didn't need to call me back, it was my mistake about the paint. Ten minutes later he called and asked what the problem with paint was, I explained and apologies for bothering them about something that wasn't their product. He said he'd like to help, if I wanted to look him up next time I came in he would GIVE me a gallon of Behr paint to try over it. I'm a little afraid to just pain over the tacky paint, but I thought that was really above and beyond. But that is the way my local Home Depot is. I know people bad mouth them, but my local on is outstanding.

Okay! You can all quit chuckling now. I was at Home Depot this A.M. Went through the paint department, was going to get the Valspar color I'm using and see if they could match it with one of their other brands. Couldn't find it so I asked. The sweet little says, "I'm sorry sir, we do not sell Valspar, that is sold at Lowe's". Not to look like a fool I said, "ya, I knew that and it is a good thing you don't see it, it sucks!" So I get home and at the time the store manager was suppose to be at work, I called, as his message from the previous day requested. He was busy with another person so I left a message telling him he didn't need to call me back, it was my mistake about the paint. Ten minutes later he called and asked what the problem with paint was, I explained and apologies for bothering them about something that wasn't their product. He said he'd like to help, if I wanted to look him up next time I came in he would GIVE me a gallon of Behr paint to try over it. I'm a little afraid to just pain over the tacky paint, but I thought that was really above and beyond. But that is the way my local Home Depot is. I know people bad mouth them, but my local on is outstanding.

Most of my paint experience is automotive but after having three body shops I have seen some weird stuff with paint. UV is worth a try, might be able to kick it with a chemical too, no idea about the latex. Aside from everything else, they have started calling stuff latex enamel or enamel latex which makes no sense to me. Enamel never really dries without a kicker.

I just wanted to post to tell you to go with your gut, I have never had a mess so bad that I couldn't make it worse trying to paint over it. Unless you get that base coat dry enough you would be happy to paint over it in normal circumstances, chances are more paint on top will just compound the situation.

Hu

NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD HEAR FROM THEM AGAIN!

Well glory be, I just receive two e-mail from Valspar. They said they would run a test on my the batch my paint came from and they did detect tackiness. Stated that if I still had the paint can label they would arrange a refund. Never thought I would hear from them again.

Man, your day has just been getting better and better, huh? :thumb: Good to see that Valspar is at least interested in making things right.

it would make sense to fix it considering how many can see the poor results threw the internet!! glad you getting refund paul but you still need to come up with some plan to dry that paint you have on there

it would make sense to fix it considering how many can see the poor results threw the internet!! glad you getting refund paul but you still need to come up with some plan to dry that paint you have on there

I've already fixed it. I didn't worry about the inside of case, it would be handled so a little tacky won't hurt. The outside I sanded down, and repainted. I went and saw the lady at Home Depot and asked if she could match it. She walked over to the Rust-oleum Ultra Cover Premium Latex, Apple Red, opened it, dabbed a little of each side by side, put her hair drier on it and let it dry. I could not tell which was which. Rust-oleum's apples are the same color as Valspar's cherries!

Whewwww!! Glad you didn't go for the Behr...that stuff sucks and I say that after putting myself through medical school doing C6 contractor work and using it on my own house...one and only one time. Walmart sells better paint with 2 drops of pigment loaded. HD never gets my business!!! Rant over and out.

It's amazing that Home Depot is supporting your problems with Valspar paint since they don't sell it. Home Depot contracts with Behr Process Corporation in Santa Ana, California for their premium paint line.

Lowe's contracts with Valspar. They used to label it as American Heritage when they first began doing business together.

Whenever you walk into the majority of Home Depot stores have you noticed that the paint department is front and center? That's because that department makes 10% of Home Depot's profit every year. Valspar and Behr R&D labs do everything they can to get their chemistry formulations advanced every year as they compete for "Best Quality" and "Best Value" in Consumer Reports every testing period. HUGE money.

I worked for Behr in their Santa Ana facilities for six years.

Whewwww!! Glad you didn't go for the Behr...that stuff sucks and I say that after putting myself through medical school doing C6 contractor work and using it on my own house...one and only one time. Walmart sells better paint with 2 drops of pigment loaded. HD never gets my business!!! Rant over and out.

If you're using the Kilz paint from Walmart in Fresno guess where it's made? In one of the two Behr plants in Santa Ana, CA!

The parent company that owns Behr bought Kilz a couple of years later and has Behr managing both product lines, albeit Kilz Masterchem "headquarters" is in Imperial, MO outside of Saint Louis.

Last edited:
Interesting information, Dan. My local Home Depot should win an award. They go out of there way to be helpful. I've been to some that were not nearly as good, to say the least. Now our local Lowes, they are not bad, but not nearly as aggressive to help a person.

Home Depot also sells Glidden paint, I've had good luck with it as well as the Behr paints.