Getting Close

Al Launier

On the 28th, only a week from this Sunday, my wife JoAnn & I will be heading to VT to pick up a long awaited Ridgid 3650 10" TS. It will be a 3hr (one way) trip to an area I used to travel over 30 years ago when I worked/lived in NY. It'll be nice to explore Bennington and Brattleboro on the way back & to have a nice out of town dinner with JoAnn.

I'm really looking forward to having a nice table saw after having to contend with a ~1952 Sears saw for ~40 years. Hard to imaging a TS that is only a few years old!

In the meantime, I've cleared out space & have recently sold a number of items on CL to pay for the saw. Originally, I sold some hunting gear (treestand, deer decoy, turkey vest & decoys, etc.) that was going to pay for the TS and to purchase some wood. After all what good is a saw without wood? I allowed the buyer to make installment payments, but the sale fell through when the buyer lost his job. I returned his deposit. So now the CL sales (camping gear, dog crate & Igloo dog house, luggage, including an old Sears TS) will take care of buying the "new to me" Ridgid TS.

I'm hoping I can control the dust better withthe new saw as table saws do make a lot of it, and my shop is right up against a family room/rec room area in the finished basement. I'm "considering" setting up the TS & also my Delta compound miter saw in the garage, but am uncertain about the cold winters. Regardless, I miss having my old TS as it is holding up a couple small projects - can't wait for the Ridgid.

You will enjoy the upgrade, but I wonder how many of us started out with that trusty old Sears contracter saw. I know I used one for over 30 years. They were not great but those old saws earned their keep. Mine is still going, working for my son-in-law. Maybe when he is through with it I will have it bronzed and put in my front yard!

Congrats on your new saw.

You are going to love having a newer TS. It is such an important piece of equipment. Do a Glenn on it. Get out your papers on it (or from the web if you do not have them), figure you are going to spend 4 or 5 hours on it, and tune it to the thousandths. It will repay you with love and accuracy in your work.

My dad had an old Sears; I think just prior to WWII. It served him well until he died. Then it served me for years. Then it became my son's first TS. I think it cost something like $40.00 new.

I currently have Glenn's old top of the line Sears cabinet saw. I could set it on the showroom floor it is in such pristine condition. Glenn has it tuned to be as good as any saw can be made. I am sure I will wear out before it does. However, if someone wants to donate a new SawStop cabinet saw, I will take it.

Enjoy,
JimB

Last edited:
You are going to love having a newer TS. It is such an important piece of equipment. Do a Glenn on it. Get out your papers on it (or from the web if you do not have them), figure you are going to spend 4 or 5 hours on it, and tune it to the thousandths. It will repay you with love and accuracy in your work.

My dad had an old Sears; I think just prior to WWII. It served him well until he died. Then it served me for years. Then it became my son's first TS. I think it cost something like $40.00 new.

I currently have Glenn's old top of the line Sears cabinet saw. I could set it on the showroom floor it is in such pristine condition. Glenn has it tuned to be as good as any saw can be made. I am sure I will wear out before it does. However, if someone wants to donate a new SawStop cabinet saw, I will take it.

Enjoy,
JimB

Jim, I do plan on setting it up to the nth degree. Love this stuff! I don't want any excuses for anything less than what the TS was designed to do, or me for that matter.

Two of my daughters went to college in Bennington. One lives in Manchester, VT. We travel the Brattleboro to Bennington/Manchester route every few weeks. Great ride in the good weather. Going over the Mountains on Rt 9 are pretty tough when the weather is bad.

Two of my daughters went to college in Bennington. One lives in Manchester, VT. We travel the Brattleboro to Bennington/Manchester route every few weeks. Great ride in the good weather. Going over the Mountains on Rt 9 are pretty tough when the weather is bad.

You're right there Bob, I've had some "challenging" drives myself during the winter months.

I just returned from visiting with Tony Maio & his lovely wife Maureen. Very nice, gracious & hospitable people indeed! We thoroughly enjoyed our short visit with them. Their residence is in beautiful Vermont mountain country with spectacular views from their beautiful home.

Of course, I just happen to load a Ridgid 3650 TS into my vehicle while I was there. It is in beautiful, like-new condition. Plus Tony tossed in a couple of extras which I appreciated & they will certainly be put to good use: a TS sled for 45° miters that he had made; a couple of saw blades (40TPI & 60TPI carbide) both of which are in clean & excellent condition; a miter head board; a new PALS Alignment System; and 3) extra inserts with a couple of Micro Jig Splitters.

Thanks Tony

I'm thinking someone needs to teach Al how to use a camera. I would volunteer but we all know how well I am in that department.:thumb::thumb:
Congrats on the new saw :thumb::thumb::thumb:

As soon as it's assembled I'll post pictures. Unfortunately, it might be a while (~2 months) as I have quite a few things to get done this week before I have my right knee replaced next Monday. My objective was to pick it up beforehand as I committed to do with Tony.