Looking for some plastic

probably won't play with stabilizing when all is said and done, tempting but scary

Plexi/acetone is inexpensive. Even punky wood, when stabilized is very strong, after all, it is mostly plexiglas. Consider, it soaks into the wood. The "go a long ways" comment can only be marketing puff. You soak it into the wood and that volume is no longer in the pot. If you use it, do with ventilation. I don't know if the fumes are hazardous but after a while the 'orangy' odor became pervasive and sorta sickening. Let us know what you do.

Frank,

The resin I was speaking of is the Cactus Juice. John can tell us about that. The other stuff is being bought in bulk by a supplier and has no name, none given to be more accurate. He has handled Nelsonite and Resolute in the past, seems happier with this stuff. Like you I am skeptical of the "goes a long ways" if you soak a piece of wood. I was amazed at how much air came out of a less than one inch by thirty inch dowel when I soaked them in Resolute. I'll probably look into the plexi-acetone myself, and eventually do nothing. These things interest me and the things that form a plastic like the juice and I assume plexi-acetone are probably pretty stable. I don't feel real comfortable turning the liquid soaked wood or putting it in someone's home. I am concerned with degassing issues. May not be an issue, just outside my comfort zone.

Hu

I don't feel real comfortable turning the liquid soaked wood or putting it in someone's home. I am concerned with degassing issues. May not be an issue, just outside my comfort zone.

I do my stabilizing in my under-house garage with the door open. In nice weather I allow to dry/degass outside. Even in nasty weather with doors closed it degasses in a short time. Acetone evaporates quickly. The odor doesn't last long. As long as I don't stick my nose in the stuff I perceive no danger. I do wear Nalgean gloves when handling wet items.

Here's what I needed it for.

View attachment 75350

John,

Did you just go with a chunk of countertop? Seems like with the clear glass container there is little need for a clear top to see when the air is all out of the wood. Anything flat and nonporous should work, something heavy like counter top might be a plus. A little something to seal it to the glass and suck it down.

Hu

They http://freckleface.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/acrylicsheetonehalfinchthick.html had a 10 pound grab box of off cuts of polypropylene for 13.00. I'm needing some for another project in the works so I took a chance at there being a piece that would work for the top. There was a piece in the box that was the right size for the lid. I glued some rubber gasket material on the bottom and it works like a charm.

Great! Sometimes we get lucky.

I have been drawing up cheap work arounds for a bearing I need because the bearing is too costly. Just found a pair of them for under fourteen dollars on e-bay, shipping free!

Hu