I been think'n

When a south Louisiana country boy says he has an idea that is almost as dangerous as when our brethren a bit north or north and east say, "here Bubba, hold my beer."

Anyway, I own a lathe and a bandsaw and whittling green wood round by the whack and hack method seems a bit rude and crude. Jigs and pins and all sorts of things to hold the center of the wood out to the side of the bandsaw to turn it have been running through my mind. Have a DVD somewhere that shows how to make a pretty elaborate jig to do this. Then it occurred to me that I seem to be making a mountain out of a mole hill. What if . . .

I have a face plate for my lathe that came with it, gotta buy a few more. I also have a four jaw chuck and chuck screw. Here is where it starts to get slightly more interesting. Either the face plate or the chuck is half of a turn table. A chunk of two by attached to the bottom of the saw table with a hole or three in it to accommodate either a 1"-8 bolt or piece of threaded stock, a couple of nuts(me not included) and a few washers and I would have the center post of a turn table. Attach the faceplate or chuck screw and chuck to the piece, and then run it down on the bolt or threaded stock secured in place until it bottoms out. Back off 1-1/2 to 2 turns and position the rig on the saw. Turn a perfect circle or thereabouts already centered around your mount to the lathe with both the position and angle correct for your mount.

You already have your attachment to the headstock in place ready to screw on the lathe, run up the tailstock and start whittling.

Make sense? Have to work out the height and maybe a sliding arrangement on the two by would be nice but seems like this is more accurate and simpler than most of the things being used now.

Thoughts?

Hu