A Cute Little Wood Hauler

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
I've seen this truck in pictures on the web, but earlier this week I saw my first one "in the wild". This pickup truck was at the supermarket dropping off aluminum cans at the recycling center. It's the International Class 7 Crew Cab pickup. Not the most practical rig for running errands around town, IMHO. At least now there's a vehicle to make Hummer owners envious. :rolleyes:

(I think Hummers are great when they're used as real trucks. As a ride for soccer moms and corporate attorneys in LA, I think they're a bit over the top. I've never seen one around here with mud on it.)

Andy's Truck 1 800T2.jpg

I'll bet it'd haul as many turning blanks as you could lift up into the bed. :D

Imagine the trailer it could tow :rofl::rofl:
Here's a quote from the article:
A steering axle rated at 10,000 pounds and a rear axle with 17,000 pounds capacity means Big Red can roll well within Class 7 limits and pull a trailer, allowing it nearly as much capacity as a Class 8. Larry Bull, sales applications engineer for International, says Red can also be bought with a 16,000-pound front axle and 30,000-pound rear, giving it full Class 8 capability. In addition, and making this truck even more unique, it comes standard with full-time four-wheel drive.
It also has a 10-foot bed. :eek:

I just know one or more of these will show up as chase vehicles for hot-air balloonists. I've seen some pretty decked out Kenworth chase vehicles in my balloon-crewing days, and one of these with a lift gate (and perhaps a self-contained RV shell on the back) would appeal to that crowd.

Of course, for slightly lighter loads (15,500 lbs rear/9800 lbs front) , but better off-road capability, there's always the Unimog. ;) It's not nearly as macho-looking, but it's also got serious tree-climbing low gearing. From the article:

Equipped with what essentially amounts to 40-inch tires and two 4x4 low-range ratios (one designated "working" gears; the other "crawler" gears), the Unimog can creep at 0.09 mph with a crawl ratio of over 3000:1. That means a crawling speed of 150 yards an hour--not idling; that's at a 2000 rpm engine speed (close to wide-open throttle for a diesel)...
Also, the steering column and dash panel can slide to either side of the cab for left-hand or right-hand driving. Even Stu and Alex could drive one. :p

Vaughn,

I am a off road enthusiast.

My off road vehicle of choice is a quad though.

That wasn't gonna stop me from buying a H1 .

Then I overcame my feelings of inadequateness and admitted

I was friggin nuts. 5 miles to the gallon?

I can buy a shopbot by walking to the piggly wiggly.

Anyway, I want one of these now. In black.

Per

Attachments

• fj-cruiser.jpg
    fj-cruiser.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 30
, says Red can also be bought with a 16,000-pound front axle and 30,000-pound rear, giving it full Class 8 capability. In addition, and making this truck even more unique, it comes standard with full-time four-wheel drive.

Why would you want FTFWD? :dunno:
I have never understood why you would want a 30,000 pound single rear, you can only legally carry 20,000 in a single axle wit dual tires, steers are limited to 12,000. There are some exceptions, MI allows you 20,000 on a steer, but you have to be plated in MI. ND and SD have some heavier weight limits, but your limited to state highways. no interstate.

but they are cute. :rolleyes: My Sis and her husband actually checked one out last year at the fair and later test drove one. They decided it was too much truck even though they pull a 32 foot fifth wheel full time. They bought an 07 Dodge 3500. Mostly because BIL gets a discount through work.

Per If you gonna buy a LC get one of the old ones. Neighbor had one when I was kid, that thing was bullet proof. Dad had a 1976 Jeep J20 pickup. That thing was a tank. Between the quadra trac and and posi differentials front and rear it was about unstoppable.

I've decide the for next Lumber hauler I'm going to buy a used single axle IH with a 20 or 24 foot box on it. Set the box off use it for storage. shorten the wheelbase and put a 10 or 12 foot flatbed on it. It won't be any longer than a dually one ton, haul more weight. Running around empty it should get 10 or 12 MPG and you can buy them for $6000 to up. As a daily driver it will outlast a 1 ton

Robert,

Good Advise,

But a restored Land Cruiser starts at 45 grand.

Nah. New one 30 grand.

I am at that point in my life, after driving junk for 30 years,

I will buy brand new. Straight up. No monthly payments.

Leaves 14 grand pocket money for that shop bot....with a spindle and program

in full 3d. Just sayin.:dunno:

Per

International Class 7 Crew Cab rolleyes:

View attachment 6589
I reall like that thing. I always wanted a wrecker to drive around but now I have changed my mind. My wife doesn't seem to be going for it.

"(I think Hummers are great when they're used as real trucks. As a ride for soccer moms and corporate attorneys in LA, I think they're a bit over the top. I've never seen one around here with mud on it.)" [Quote-Vaughn McMillan]

I was watching a TV program a while back about Hummers and I found it interesting that the Hummer representative came right out and said that ninety percent of the civilian buyers had no need for one except for a status symbol. I suppose that the civilian market is so small in their overall sales that he could afford to say that.

Last edited:
I've seen one of those on I-40. It was actually some kind of work truck too, but now I can't quite remember what, construction? ranching? probably construction.

The original Hummer at least had an excuse as a 4wd, with that crazy suspension and tons of clearance. I always thought it was too wide though for most areas I went to, as one narrow stretch and yer walkin'. The later models all appear to have solid axles though, so I don't see a whole lot of point to them myself.

Funny thing is, right now is the only time I'll ever be using as much material as one of those would haul, and I can hardly wait to get rid of my heavier truck, but then again, its no trophy! I like to think of the steering as random orbital :eek:

I think the newest Hummers are just a Hummer-esqe body on a regular pickup chassis.

Don't forget who the Hummer was designed for, and what theater they thought they would be using it in.

Cheers!

I have this do you think it would pull all 36'8" of it?

I think the goof balls had a stupid attack again it setting to high to work for much of anything. I sure would be seen dead spending that much money just to ride around setting up high to look good.

As far as I know the H1 was the only true Humvee with independent axels with geared down hubs out behind the wheels & independent suspension all around. The rest are just wannbe's

Attachments

• 5th wheel 2a.jpg
    5th wheel 2a.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Yep, the H3 is on the same chassis as the Colorado. There are even some stickers under the hood that list info for both the H3 and the Colorado.
And the H2 is sitting on a Tahoe chassis. :rolleyes: I agree that the real Hummer is a workhorse beast.

Per, I've been seeing a lot of the Toyota FJs running around here in LA. They look like a handy form factor, but the reviews I've read were not real impressed with them, mostly due to poor rear visibility. Still, I wouldn't kick one out of my driveway. ;)

there was one of Vaughns parked in front of HD a while back

parked right out front , in the no parking fire lane :rolleyes:

I definite "look at me vehicle".

have you ever looked inside the H2 ...not much room at all . they had one on display at the hurricane prep expo I was really surprised I expected lots of room at least

another "look at me " vehicle

Vaughn,

Its like this, at least for me.

I drive a truck.

Side mirrors.

Rear view mirrors are for spotting the Gendarme's.

I no longer have that problem.

Besides it is a true off road truck that FJ.

Per

I'm the same way, Per. Ever since I owned a van with no side windows, I've been a side mirror kinda guy. I also add the round spot mirrors to both sides so I can see my rear wheels (and parking lines) and the rest of any blind spots.

And Skip's right about the lack of room inside the Hummers. My Bronco seemed roomier inside.

Only $80,000 and up

The beast is regular production from International Truck Co. IIRC, they are made in Garland, a Dallas suburb. The CXT series is the top of the line for a mere $129,000 and up. The entry level beast, the RXT starts at only $80,000.:doh:

The numbers on the CXT:

GVW Range: 25,999 lbs

Payload Capacity: 5.5 tons

Towing Capacity: 20 tons

Drivetrain: Up to 310 horsepower