Gas Weed Trimmer Recommendations

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
My old Weed Eater "feather lite" has served me well over the past 20 years. It's only required a new pull string and a couple of spark plugs, but looks like it may need the carb rebuilt on it and the gas cap is leaking, so time to get a new one.

I haven't done any research yet, but would like to get one that starts easy and is a longer, straight shaft as I've got several evergreens that I need to reach under to trim back vines that pop-up from time to time. I also have some spots in my ditches that the previous owner filled with concrete chunks I can't mow over the top off, so I have to trim around them until I can get them broke up. The old one is short enough that I have to bend over slightly, which puts a cramp in my back by the time I finish the yard. I'd also like one that is easy to refill the string on.

Any recommendations?

After wearing out several Home Depot/Lowe's grade machines in the course of about 3 or 4 years doing our hillside in LA, I bit the bullet and bought a commercial grade Echo from my local Stihl dealer. I was planning to get a Stihl, but the dealer talked me into the Echo instead (and it was even a bit less money).

It has been a joy to use. Well, as much joy as using a string trimmer on a 30º to 45º slope can be. I've used it quite a bit for edging the lawn and cutting back the fountain grass, too. It has run flawlessly every time I've used it.

I've had a Stihl straight-shaft trimmer for about eight years, now, and it's performed flawlessly. Other than a couple new spark plugs, it hasn't required any maintenance or repair. I trim around a 1½ acre wooded lot with it, so it sees a lot of use, and no babying.

It has the 'assisted' start - some sort of springloaded thing that lets you pull the cord easily, then trips the spring and turns the engine over. It usually starts on the first pull, too.

I have a 10 year old John Deere which has worked really well up until this year when its developed an annoying habit of cutting out randomly. I think I just need to clean the fuel filter and maybe the carb.

The problem is that once you know a tool like this is a good one its 10 years old and obsolete :rolleyes: I reckon many of the commercial grade ones are probably decent. If you can find someone who does commercial work they'll use something like this more in a week than most of us will in a year so I give there reviews a lot of credence (although sometimes you get into the ford/chevy type of conversations.. which you gotta kind of ignore I suppose).

You guys know what models you have? Looks like each are offering consumer and pro versions. I used the heck out of mine at the last house, but this one is pretty minimal for the most part. I did a little browsing over lunch on-line and see they offer other "head" options for edging, shrub trimming, etc. I could see using a roto-till head for the small flower beds, and a hedge trimmer, but don't really need an edger. Are these any good or should I just stick with getting the right tool for the job?

I'm looking to spend less than $200, but would depend on the type and options I may go over that a little. I think I only paid $60 for the old one new, so I feel like I'm splurging at $200 to be honest, but that was 20 years ago.

I have a Stihl and an Echo. I really think I like the Echo a little better. One thing to look at is the way you add the string. The Echo, I take a spool off and wind the string around a spool. It was tap feed which is good. The Stihl poke the string into a little hole and hope I can get it in the second little hole inside the head that secures the end. You have to do that on both sides of the head. Then you crank this little hub on the bottom of the head to wind the string in. Not a bad set up if you are young and have flexible hands, but with my old arthritic hands it is getting almost impossible to do. I'm trying to dream up a way of making something I can use to push and turn it easier. All in all they are both good units.

Eco SRM-2400 here, probably about 7 years old. It keeps on chugging, but I do wrestle with winding the line on the spool so it comes off correctly. I will buy another when it dies.

I can't comment on Stihl stuff. I've got a 27cc Craftsman straight shaft w/ the head changing system. I've got a line trimmer head and an edger head. Both work well. It's only 3.5 years old or so and I don't use it much; maybe 25-30 hrs on it... stored outdoors under the deck 24/7/365 so it's lead a hard life. Just had to replace the switch on the ignition module interrupter.

Any comments on 2-stroke vs 4-stroke?

Last edited:
Swisher high wheel, triple the line, no hesitation on any cutting, swings to the side to trim along buildings or under fences by going parallel, nothing to carry, also the head will turn 90 degrees and cut the grass fancy like along your sidewalk if you are into that type of haircut for your lawn.

Darren, I stand corrected from my previous post. Mine is one of Echo's Pro/Consumer crossover models. Details are in this thread:

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?18120-A-New-Spinny-Tool

For things like string trimmers and chainsaws, in my opinion it's worth spending a bit more to purchase from a lawn equipment shop instead of one of the big box stores. At the right shop, the little extra money you might spend pays off in service, support and education that the big box guys seldom provide.)

I would recommend the Echo. I chose mine because that is what the local landscape contractors prefer. I've had since the mid 80's & it's still working well.

I would recommend the Echo. I chose mine because that is what the local landscape contractors prefer. I've had since the mid 80's & it's still working well.

That's essentially the same reason I went with the Echo. My dealer said that was what most of the pros in my area were using. Proven track record, and better chance of having parts in stock if they are ever needed. The same dealer steered me to the Stihl chainsaw (over several other brands that he sells, including Husqvarna) for the same reason.

I understand that Echo is one of the top brands and have never heard bad things... but my son gave me a Troy-bilt that doesn't use an oil/gas mixture... it has a separate crankcase for the oil and runs on straight gasoline... I use strictly non-ethanol gas in it and it has a nice straight shaft at lets me stand straight (I'm 6'1"), I changed the factory head to an after market that uses the line cut in about 8-10" lengths and uses two lines that cross in the center of the head so I have 4 cutting lines... it starts easily and runs fairly quietly... I have a one acre country lot that is either up hill or down and about 1/3 of it is wooded that I have to weed whack periodically...

I've got a Jonsonred that I like really well. It starts easily, balanced well and had a bump feed line head that loads easier than any I've seen before. The line is fed through the shaft and wound up without having to open up the head. You can't even wind it backwards. I bought a beaver blade and adapter kit for it as well. A beaver blade is a circular saw blade with a chain saw chain to cut some pretty tough stuff.

Yep Tom, I agree. Of course I try to go under all of my fences twice a year, probably over a mile and a half by the time I am done. In fact, the little links the line loops onto, I wore those metal links out twice now! I went cheap the first time and bought Sears version and tall weeds wrapped something fierce on the head. They don't on this Swisher. You can get from 200 to 600 dollar models.

http://www.lifeandhome.com/swisher-...dger-22.html?gclid=CO-ey57O87YCFWNlMgod-BwA6w

I wanted a Stihl, but couldn't afford it. Plus, the wife is who uses it. I hate weedeating. It had to start easily, or I would re-inherit the job. So for ease of starting, I got a Troy Bilt angled head from Lowes. It has an accessory electric start that works like a charm! Even TLOML can work it when she remembers to follow the starting procedure!!!! Jim.