Gas Weed Trimmer Recommendations

Well last year I had to replace one and after looking at all of them I cheaped out and bought a straight shaft "Weed Eater" from Tractor Supply. A 100.00 dollar one on sale for 79.00. So far I have been well satisfied with it. Much better than my previous Homelite that lasted well over 20 years.

I spent way too long looking at everything from battery to 4 stroke. The 4 strokes I looked at were way heaver and way more expensive. One of the big issues with the 2 strokes like I bought is that they all specify not to use gas with alcohol which means a 30 minute drive or so for a gallon of gas. Not sure how important it really is but I am trying to follow rules at least until warranty runs out... The last thing I wanted was a heavier string trimmer.....

One word...

ECHO!

I've got an Echo straight shaft that I bought in '95 and it still starts and runs great. I think I've replaced the plug ONCE! I think I paid about $200 for it at the time, but it's been WELL worth it. I've got a couple Echo blowers that have been flawless too. One hand held, and a few years ago I bought a back pack blower and it's great too. Just this year I noticed that at high speed it's a little sluggish. But I poured a little SeaFoam in the tank and have run it a couple times and it seems to be improving. It's probably just in need of a little cleaning and/or adjustment. But SeaFoam is magic stuff and will probably do the job.

You're all heart, Jim. :D

I can relate, though. Not long after I moved out to NM, the Toro self-propelled mower at our LA house died. First chance I had, I made sure to buy my wife a nice Honda to replace it.

After a little haggling this morning with the local lawn pro supplier here in town I came home with a new Echo SRM-225. I was a bit worried when they had it priced at $229 though. Even the on-line MSRP prices was $219. They first said that they would match the MSRP, but I then asked about the current manufacture's special, which was a $20 instant rebate. Four other stores in town carry the same trimmer and were giving the instant rebate. After a bit of the silent treatment from the manager, he said he would do that.

2013-05-11 11.57.15.jpg2013-05-11 11.57.29.jpg

I've mowed 4 times this season so far without being able to trim and haven't been able to mow the bottom of the ditches with all the rain we've had as they are just soggy. So the trimmer got quite a work out this afternoon. I need to pickup the shoulder sling for it, gets heavy after a while.

One thing that I'm going to have to get used to is that the head spins the opposite way as my old one, took some getting used to carrying it on the other side to keep the debris flying away from me.

Congrats on the new tool! And yes, get the shoulder strap. Very useful addition. My dealer tossed one in for free when I bought my Echo. (It's a Stihl strap, which he said was more comfortable.)

When I'm weedwhacking the hillside in our back yard, it's not always possible to keep the debris from flying at me. I finally got smart and started wearing my chainsaw chaps just to keep from coating my jeans with weed and grass splatterings. I also wear my chainsaw hardhat/face shield. Took a few rocks to the face before I figured that one out. :doh:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on the new tool! And yes, get the shoulder strap. Very useful addition. My dealer tossed one in for free when I bought my Echo. (It's a Stihl strap, which he said was more comfortable.)

When I'm weedwhacking the hillside in our back yard, it's not always possible to keep the debris from flying at me. I finally got smart and started wearing my chainsaw chaps just to keep from coating my jeans with weed and grass splatterings. I also wear my chainsaw hardhat/face shield. Took a few rocks to the face before I figured that one out. :doh:

I use a face shield, too. Hadn't thought about the chaps, though. Good idea - I'll dig mine back out; they're stored in the barn with the chainsaw.

BTW, NEVER(!) weedwhack poison ivy while you're wearing shorts! DAMHIKT! :rolleyes:

BTW, NEVER(!) weedwhack poison ivy while you're wearing shorts! DAMHIKT! :rolleyes:

That may explain the itchy red spot on my ankle. ;) Actually I think it's a mosquito bight, but did have a small sprig of it that I chopped off and part of the old vine going up one of my spruce trees. The old one would only knock it around a little, the new 8 sided trimming string really chops that stuff up. :thumb:

I'll second the strap!
I've got the brush blade kit for my Echo and the strap came with the kit. It makes things MUCH easier. I'm assuming that the line your unit uses it probably .080" diameter? If so, that stuff works pretty well. That's what mine had for years but I got tired of having to stop and mess around with the spool when it got tangled up inside and wouldn't feed. A few years ago, I bought a replacement head that bolted right on in place of the factory auto feed head. This one has precut pieces of line that you just slid into place and they lock in. When they wear down and need to be replaced, you just pull the old one out and slide a new one in its place and you're good to go. The god thing about this head is that instead of using .080 line, it uses .155" diameter line! It's not round either, if you look at t from the cut end, it has eight points. (kind of looks like a Torx bit) This stuff cuts heavy weeds and even light brush like a BLADE! I bought a 106' coil of the stuff at the BORG for $12.99 Been using it since and I still have a few years supply left. :) For normal grass and light weed trimming, the .155 line lasts FOREVER! Even when I'm cutting heavy stuff, it still holds up very well. If you ever have issues with the line binding in the head and don't want to mess with it, I'd recommend upgrading to the style of head I got. BTW, that price is pretty decent. I paid about $200 for my Echo straight shaft trimmer from a lawn equipment dealer back in 1994 I think. The thing still starts and runs like new. In fact, I don't even remember ever replacing the plug! :)

Stihl.
I have two. A very old (40+ years) heavy duty that I used on the farm to cut brush and small trees. No signs of slowing down.
I had a regular grass trimmer Weed Eater. Died in two years of very light use. Replaced with a Stihl that my son will probably inherit.