Left replaced

Kyle Murphy

On Wednesday, May 1st, I had the operation to replace my left knee. I now have a matched set of Stryker knees. The surgery was very smooth and when they woke me up I was dreaming about laying on a beach in Italy (I guess). The next two days were nit good. japan is not famous for it's use of pain medication. Here you just gaman. Or endure. Now on day five I am hobbling much better. Now, if I can just get off the IV drip.

Glad to hear the surgery went well & sorry to hear about the lack of pain management. Before you know it, you'll be better than new, ready to go again.

Good to hear you're on the mend. I have a buddy that doesn't use the meds they give him as his theory is that they mask the pain and you get stupid and do more than you should. Me...give me the meds. ;)

Darren,

Your buddy should move to Japan. He would fit right in. I am with you give me the Meds. I delayed these surgeries for years because of my fear of the pain. After the right knee was done people told me how much younger I looked or that I had lost weight. It was the lack of persistent pain in my face. The pain I have now is nothing compared to chronic pain where you can not stand more than 10-15 minutes. I am looking forward to enjoying what years the Lord will give me.

Glad to hear the surgery went well, and I hope the pain is soon a distant memory. Perhaps now you can finally pursue your dream of being a polka champion. :thumb: :D

Well Vaughn, Kyle did say he was dreaming of that Italian beach, so maybe rather than polkas, he will be trying to learn Tarantellas. What about that Kyle?

Glad to hear you have finally gotten the replacement done. Follow orders and get Ye well quickly. Looking forward to meeting up with you again sometime.

Aloha buddy.

Just a quick update. Pain became quickly manageable on fourth day (sat) started to walk around but was still on the IV drip and with a walker requiring both hands it was not easy. Did leg lifts etc in bed. Sunday was more of the same but more. Still the (insert a coc violation here) IV drip. On Monday the drip came off, a shower for the first time in six days and I was a new man. Better half with some friends came over and I was abletoleave the floor and go down to Tulley's (similar to Starbucks) and sit in the fresh air. Life was good. This morning I spent two hours in rehab. When you think about it if you understand you do not need a lot to make you happy you will find happiness pretty quickly. Being with my wife and friends drinking coffee and sitting in the sun, laughing made a pretty wonderful time.

Last edited:
Update

I am being discharged from the hospital today. Surgery, and rehab have gone well. Doctors decided to release on 9th instead of 15th. May seem long by US standards but short for a Japanese hospital. Rehab continues from home.

Congrats on your early release back into the real world. Good to see you're progressing nicely, Kyle. Keep it up! :thumb: