next best thing?

larry merlau

to getting another lap top, or would i be further ahead to do that.. i seem to be having to much time with her lap top and its bothering the queen bee:) she has mentioned something she could drop in her purse.. but not paying a high monthly payment for a smart phone.. thats $150 a month and thats not in the cards anymore:) so you guru's out there whats your suggestions and why? PC not a Mac, the only way i would do a mac would be a laptop.

If it was me, I would have bypassed the iPad and bit he bullet with a Mac air, getting an 11" version and hook up to a larger monitor for "production" work and using the attached monitor for online and travel. With you being a Mac guy like me the decision is obvious, but I do understand the cost aspect. I taint no guru but I do know what I would do if I did it again:)

What does she do on it? Any specific software besides browser and email?

well darren she is into email, quilt forums and quilting web pages, and also storing her pics to show others.. pinterest is on her need to do list regularly as well:) tom i am close to switching out for the shop sorta and i know i like macs.. but the stuff i got now is pc based..

Chromebook at the bottom of this page... https://play.google.com/store/devices?feature=corpus_selector

A friend has 2 and they are pretty slick. I will be getting one soon. Will do everything she wants without all the junk that comes on a windows laptop and one less digit than the cost of a macbook. You can't load any windows software on it, but with all that google offers, you probably won't need it. They have them at best buy if you want to put your hands on one.

Chromebook at the bottom of this page... https://play.google.com/store/devices?feature=corpus_selector

A friend has 2 and they are pretty slick. I will be getting one soon. Will do everything she wants without all the junk that comes on a windows laptop and one less digit than the cost of a macbook. You can't load any windows software on it, but with all that google offers, you probably won't need it. They have them at best buy if you want to put your hands on one.

hey jeff can she do the banking on that as well if she needed to? no software loading capabilities? that acer one is affordable:)

what are the thughts on this darren? or tom ? dont want to get short changed like you are tom..

well darren she is into email, quilt forums and quilting web pages, and also storing her pics to show others.. pinterest is on her need to do list regularly as well:) tom i am close to switching out for the shop sorta and i know i like macs.. but the stuff i got now is pc based..

What does she use for taking pictures? Reason I ask it that you have to get them off of cameras and many of the tablet devices don't support it or have enough space for the pictures to download many of them. I'd say you'd still be better off with a laptop or macbook as Tom suggested.

I've bought my wife the little netbook, it was too small (8" screen) and didn't run all the applications she wanted while on the road, the iPad which she uses the heck of out, but not for spending serious time on the internet (screen is too small), and a new laptop with a 12" screen. She uses the laptop mostly when she is going to be sitting at her desk or doing a lot of internet browsing, also to upload pics from her camera and work on photo editing. I didn't find that "all purpose" device for her.

iPad mini fits in a purse easily, does everything that the iPad does, lets you read mail and browse forums. I dunno about banking but I bet you can. My boss has one at home and loves it for reading books. At $329 it's not terribly expensive. The downside is that it is on the small side. An Android tablet is probably bigger and cheaper, but I confess I know very little about them.

Personally I bought a Playbook when their price dropped a couple years ago. They're still quite cheap, and also will easily fit in a purse. I quite like the interface. It does email and web browsing just fine. And I just discovered the other day how to side-load Android apps onto it, and they work just fine. Now, I'm a geek, so a five step process is no big deal for me, but I wouldn't recommend that for the non-technical out there. But of course if all you care about is email and web browsing that is no concern. Again, the screen is on the small side, but that is what you get if you want the whole "Fits in a purse" option.

I think that pretty much ALL of the current crop of tablets out there will support some form of bluetooth keyboard. So you could buy a tablet and toss that in the purse and use it as it 90% of the time, and then when you're at home and want to do banking or serious email, then you pull out the bluetooth keyboard and "Bob's Yer Uncle"...

...art

I can do my banking and bill paying on my iPad with no problems, email, Pinterest,forums etc no problems. Just nothing using adobe flash:( I can not use as a graphics production machine which is where I went wrong cause I need one, but I did just score a Mac G5 tower for production work, just need to get a new monitor for it:)

Larry, I don't bank online so I'm not sure about that...I'm sure a google search would let you know. Keep in mind new chromebooks have 11.6" screens.

Here is an article that weighs a chromebook vs a windows 8 laptop.

More chromebooks:

http://www.newegg.com/chromebook?Tpk=chromebook

But you'll need wireless in your house. If she goes to a coffee shop, it'll connect to whatever wireless is available. I have a kindle fire, which I love and use every day, and is fine for browsing, but same thing: wireless access needed. Airports can get frustrating, especially if the wait for a plane is long... ;)

Last edited:
bill she doesnt trravel on planes much,, she still has moss on her toes:) but the wireless part could be taught to her.. she isnt a geek in any sense of the word:)

i would even be intersted in a used setup if it was in good shape..