Epoxy bar top care and repair

jon, i have never used it but have seen it in restaurants and we know the abuse they get..so i would say it should stand up well i your home.. as for scratches once it is on i would say you could sand and buff out like a normal finish.

do a search for care of that type of finish and see if you get some info.. as for buffer, i dont think you would need a buffer use a ROS and some scotch bright pads in the white color or gray to get ti closse maybe micro abrasive sheets would work too like you use on the pens..

There is no way to sand buff and get it as shinny as it sets up to.:thumb:
Let me change that to I have not found a way to yet.:thumb:

There is no way to sand buff and get it as shinny as it sets up to.:thumb:
Let me change that to I have not found a way to yet.:thumb:

Do you have some care secrets Chuck? This is going on a bar between the kitchen and dining room, want it shiny but don't want something that is going to look horrible soon from normal use. Are there other options that are more durable?

I've never used the epoxy, but here's my opinion of tabletop finishes:

Don't use anything you can't repair. Epoxy will require complete removal - it can't be 'patched.' Ditto with polyurethane.

Use a high end varnish, like Behlens 'Rock Hard' tabletop finish, that can be repaired without total removal. I've not used that particular product on a counter, but I've done several tables with it, and they all look good after years of service, and with 'reasonable' care.

Gonna have to say +1 on that Jim:thumb:
But you would not have to remover the epoxy. You would have to sand out the damaged area than scuff the whole surface and recoat the whole thing.

Last edited:
i agree on a "Use a high end varnish" i have also used that kind ofproduct instead of the pour on type and it has held up well for many years.. and it can be built up to a glass finish..

Check with Jamestown Distributors-- they are premier source for West System epoxy. Along with product availability they willingly offer technical advice. They also have available a book "The Epoxy Book"----everything you might want to know about bar top epoxy finish. INMHO nothing beats epoxy.