OK it is cutting board season!

Ned Bulken

I just got confirmation on an order for two large cutting boards from a friend I used to work with. She lives out on the left coast now, and wants two 20x24" boards. Might just afford a new tool when the payment comes in for those two boards. Plus another four smaller boards, and two more for another two friends. Good thing the nice weather is here, and the new planer is working well!

Congrats on the orders. Your boards are nice, the orders speak to that.
Pics required when they are finished. :thumb:
Thanks Frank! I will document the finished product... and probably a couple of steps in the middle... just in case someone doesn't know the sequence by now.

why are you typing here for , get busy ned and crank out those boards, keep the orders coming in.

Allen,
well first I have to finish cranking out at Least a pair of adirondack chairs for the LOML (mother's day gift...)... and then I need to go buy more wood... the big boards aren't due for at least a month yet, so I have a little time.

ya shoulda emailed me earlier last month, I would have just cut another set for you and you could have picked them up already cut.(march and april its like an assembly line for me getting them out of here)

got a lot accomplished the past two days, didn't quite get all of the pieces rounded over, still need to do that on the arms, then I can start assembly tomorrow before I head back to work at 5pm. I will have to go in for awhile in the morning, learning payroll procedures in the later morning... might not get back to the chairs until Tuesday, depends on how the day goes at work. Toasted a bearing on one of my cheap MLCS bits, luckily I had another of the same profile handy... will have to replace the bearing at a later date, but might just buy a better bit and be done with it.

OK, it didn't Quite snow here, but it was darned cold. Around Noon I did get out to the shop and rounded over all of the remaining parts (arms and backrest supports) before I had to head in to work. We're forecast for record lows again tonight... and I have to go in to work early tomorrow. HOwever I'm NOT driving tonight or tomorrow evening! SO after I supervise the drivers in the afternoon, I should be home by about 3pm! HOpefully it will be warm enough that I should get both chairs assembled and then photos done of the pair.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370795054.574082.jpg
There is the cherry I picked up yesterday, all stacked & ready to go.

I decide to get some maple and whatnot off of the racks...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370795179.394396.jpg

Then cut it to match the cherry shorts
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370795221.265391.jpg
I set a stop block & soon I had:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370795258.433996.jpg

I've got two sets of short blanks in the clamps right now, I'm going to leave them in until I get home from work, going to go out and clamp up a bunch tonight, leave them overnight and in the morning I should be in production mode.

Last edited:
elen and I went to an arts and craft fair this morning in Eisenhower Park in East Meadow. Not a big show, maybe 75 vendors.
Mostly jewelry. hats,
There was a young person, maybe mid 20s, he had a table full of Dan Noren's wine bottle holders. I didn't think they were even as nice as Dans, as they were very simple. On the other side of his table, I figured Id find some cutting boards, but he had a cute idea.
He used some ply, made simple small shelving units, spice racks, but used fancy rope type molding on the plywood edges, and stained it nicely.
Looked nice, I hope he sold something. He also had a book on his table, a three binder folder, with all his work, pictures, and I heard him discussing with someone that anything in the book he can make and sell them.
I personally thought he should have had a few pieces on the grass like his Adirondack chairs and stuff, just to let people actually see them in person.
I would never order furniture from a book.

but no cutting boards. We met a guy 3 weeks ago at the Nassau coliseum craft show that only had cutting boards.

His small cheese boards were 15, medium l boards were 30, a largerboard was 40

typical home made boards, I hope he made some money also.

Allen I'd like to think I'm a cut above a typical home made board, we will have to see

my statement meant that it was easy for someone like you or me who have made many many boards to see these were homemade boards, not boards purchased or imported to resell.
they weren't unappealing, they were just what I think is typical, stripes of different woods, checkerboard patterns of constrasting boards.
I don't know how much else anyone can do with a cutting board unless you add bowls, matching knives, or have it engraved.

Gotcha,
I usually get the 'oh that's so gorgeous, I could never cut on it!' sort of comment. I'm going to crank out a bunch of boards this week, between early mornings before work and this coming weekend (working around a lacrosse tournament). I've got 7 blanks glued up currently, and I'm going to be doing at least another 5 tomorrow morning. too much work today, I have three runs to cover. ugh. ciao, catch y'all on tapatalk later today.