Router Bit Carbide Failure - One Scary UFO

So on Saturday I bought a brand new 1/2" shank Whiteside rabbetting bit set. It didn't disappoint, and the first 8 operations went flawlessly. It easily handled a very heavy cut using a medium duty hand-held router. Of course, the cut quality was great as well. On the 9th operation I had to make a climb cut, and suddenly a chunk of wood broke free and my router became a wood chipper. The router hardly kicked, and suddenly the wood was starting to burn. It took me a few minutes before I actually looked at the bit. To my horror a full width chunk of carbide was completely gone! My cut had been controlled, not too heavy as it was a climb cut, and there was no foreign object in the wood. After further examination I decided it had to be a defect in the carbide, because half of the cutter blade looked like broken carbide, and the other half was dark, semi-shiny and smooth (which didn't look like normal broken carbide).

Any one else have this happen before? With Whiteside?

Luckily I didn't get hit by the flying piece, and the workpiece was fully intact as well. I returned the bit for a new one, but my next pass I made while wearing a face shield. :D

- Hutch

Attachments

• Rabbet 1.jpg
    Rabbet 1.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 83
  • Rabbet 2.jpg
    Rabbet 2.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 76
  • Rabbet 3.jpg
    Rabbet 3.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
let us know what white side says about why hutch? i know they stand behind there stuff and you have connections as well.. but that is real strange that a new bit would do that.

I sent a bit to Whiteside just to help them diagnose the problem. They sent me a new bit. I was using a very dainty keyhole bit but that rabbet is a different matter.

BTDT - but with a JESADA (Remember them?) bit about 15 years ago. The bit was in a router table, and the loose carbide embedded itself in the back of the fence. Router - now out of balance - begin immediate vibration/shuddering. Shutdown was uneventful, other than my needing an immediate trip to the head...:eek:

Carlo Venditto replaced the bit, and asked for the broken one to investigate further.

I was in a hurry so I didn't send it to Whiteside. I exchanged for a new one at our local Woodcraft (where I bought it), cuz I needed to get back to work. Due to the way corporate Woodcraft handles miscellaneous defective products I doubt I would be able to get it sent to Whiteside for diagnosis. But I think I will talk to the managers and see if they can send it in. I will let you know if I am able to get an answer to the problem.

- Hutch