bedroom, getting there,

this project, redoing the attic bedroom, was not cheap.
Paint, flooring, molding, and cabinets approx. cost for me was 2200-2500.00 less the new lighting fixtures.
Im figuring I saved around 4000-4500 dollars by doing it all myself(and my sons labor is free)
not a bad deal, I started around end of april beginning of may.

(when the contractor finally gets here to redo the bathroom, Im going to ask him what hed charge for the cabinetry work, just a ball park figure)

Last edited:
It looks great Allen. I'd forget about the top cabinet as well. A small lamp or a little collection of old books would look nice there. Beautiful fit and finish on this job. Can I come down there for some training ? :)

Allen, excellent work! Yes it cost some money, but custom cabinets to your specs would easily be double that and bet you wouldn't be as happy as you are now. At some point, forget the cost, look at the pride, craftsmanship and contentment of knowing you did it yourself. Hmmmmmmmmmm, maybe get you to stay for an extended vacation and get my kitchen done!:eek::rolleyes::rofl:

Allen, excellent work! Yes it cost some money, but custom cabinets to your specs would easily be double that and bet you wouldn't be as happy as you are now. At some point, forget the cost, look at the pride, craftsmanship and contentment of knowing you did it yourself. Hmmmmmmmmmm, maybe get you to stay for an extended vacation and get my kitchen done!:eek::rolleyes::rofl:

Me first! Besides, I'm closer :D

That came out looking sweet, Allen. Thanks for taking us all along for the ride. :thumb:

Oh, and you can add my name to the 'no top cabinet' list. A few knick-knacks or old books would look better, IMO.

so today I decided to lose my finish/lathe room for the winter, and started on the last room of my house I need to update.
(the upstairs bathroom is getting done by a contractor)
This small bedroom in the front of the house had a car run through it a couple of years before we purchased the house.
You can see by the pictures where the new sheetrock walls are, the car took out the window and part of the wall to the left of the window.
The paneling is glued up, the ceiling tiles are glued, all needs to come down and glue scraped, carpet ripped, new floor, all new moldings and paint.
Once the room is finished, and my wife decides what she wants to do with it, then I can start some furniture if we need it.
Nothing difficult, but a lot of tedious miserable work again. scraping glue, pulling tacks.Just disposing of all the old paneling and moldings, everything has to be denailed and broken down for carting so I don't have to pay to have it carted away.
That in itself is a big job.
I will not install the new sheetrock, Im hiring someone for that, not going to break my back with that.
Ill do everything else and get my son to help lay the new floor.
will keep me busy, and out of trouble.

Attachments

• 100_1514.jpg
    100_1514.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 100_1515.jpg
    100_1515.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 34
The demolition part I'm all for :D and I too farm out drywall work. hate it, hate, it hate it :rofl:
if my finances were in order, I'd be tearing out a lot of messed up things around here. Luv that kind of stuff, even the painting doesn't bother me, but for some reason mudding & sanding drywall does not even show up on my tolerance radar. Hope you have a pleasant experience.

I spoke with the contractor, he said they will sheetrock and mud and have it sanded and all ready for primer and paint.
the problem is, his crew is still renovating homes lost from hurricane sandy, as the money trickles in from insurance and I guess the govt, people are still waiting to redo their homes.
Hes done work for me before, and they did excellent work in the back of my home, so Ill have to be patient.
He informed me he has a few different guys that can hang the sheetrock, they only use one guy to do the mudding.( I call it spackling)

Re: before.......FINISHED

Good luck Allen will follow along for the ride.....i hate drywall too. Had my fill in my old shop. :) Never again.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

the tiled ceiling, all the tiles were stapled to pine firring strips, and I decided to pull all the furring strips down. Wasn't worried about the holes in the plaster since the ceiling will be sheetrocked also.
A bit of advice to anyone working up near a room ceiling. Make sure you turn the ceiling fan off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I had it on to keep the room air circulating and keep me cool, but when I leaned back a bit on the ladder to pull a piece of wood off the ceiling, I took a fan blade into the back and side of my head. It hurts. I don't recommend trying it, take my word on this one.
paneling is down, glue is scraped off, 1500 nails are pulled, carpet is ripped, foam is ripped, ceiling is ripped down, only thing left to do is pull carpet tack strips out and another 2000 staples off of floor.
My contractor is on a cruise, Im waiting on his price.

no price yet, Im giving him one more week to show then Ill look elsewhere. I started, I want to get going on this now, ants in my pants.
so this is the next room, (the last room in my home to be redone and repainted)
its a small bedroom, 10x12, the floor is nice and even, I will put either wood or laminate over the tile, whichever she decides on.(I prefer laminate, its an easier install and I don't have to purchase a staple gun for the flooring, but the choice is hers)
Its elens(my wife) room, she wants it as a sitting room? a reading room? a woman cave.
I drew out on the wall what she is telling me she wants. Everything in there will be walnut.
Ill start with a walnut radiator cover. she wants a storage cabinet to put all her new quilting hobby stuff into. Nothing fancy, just a small cabinet with shelves and Ill attach a small desk in the corner. that's it for building. She wants two chairs in there.
Over the cabinet, Ill put in a flatscreen, approx. 42-46 inches for her tv shows.
That's about it, as soon as the sheetrock goes up, Ill start my work.
Not 100% sure how Im going to cover up that ill fitting AC unit in the wall, Might have to build a picture frame type of thing around it.

Attachments

• 100_1523.jpg
    100_1523.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 17
  • 100_1524.jpg
    100_1524.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 100_1525.jpg
    100_1525.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 19
Re: before.......FINISHED

Alan are these walls brick? I am missing something here, you mention sheetrock going up but looks to me like u still got sheetrock or is it plastered walls. Are you putting further sheetrock over this?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

the pink walls are original plaster, a car drove through the front window and the new walls replaced were sheetrock, but the sheetrock is damaged due to all the wood paneling that was glued on and nailed. Doesn't pay to repair the plaster either, so Im getting all new clean sheetrock.
didn't contact me this morning either, Im a bit discouraged with him. amazing how its impossible to find a contractor worthsomethingt
to do work on LI these days.