I JUST BECAME A TRUCK OWNER!

Roger Tulk

I have wanted a pickup truck for a very long time, and finally got the agreement of the Memsahib that I could go and get one. SO my son and I went up to Georgetown ON, and made a deal for this one. We got him to knock down the price by about $1800 after taxes, warranty and dealer prep. It looks like a new vehicle, and is very clean and nice to drive. It has the extended cab and 6' box. It's 10 years old and has 57,000 km on the clock; that's about 35,000 miles. Shouldn't have any trouble bringing lumber home now, eh?

Last edited:
I had a 1997 ranger for 14 years, traded it in for a 2011 Ranger with the 4.0 V6, it has plenty of power. I loved them both! IMHO the best small truck there is!

Last edited:
Nice! Congrats Roger! Get a couple of 2x6's or 2x8' and cut them to span those two shelves in the back on the bed liner to be able to haul 4x8 sheets over the top of the wheel wells. Might even make a little box to stand up on the tailgate to support the end. Of course you could just buy enough hardwood to raise the plywood above the wheel wells too. :D

I bought my dream vehicle in the year 2000. A ford F350 diesel dually. I knew the second the salesman introduced himself to me that I was going to buy my truck from him. He had the same name as my dad, Larry Dowell, which was odd, because my full name is Brent Larry Dowell. Kind of one of those the universe is going to slap you in the head every now and then type things.

I love my truck. His Name is "King Bubba", aka, King Bubba Truck. F350 Diesel dually, 6 speed manual transmission extended cab. He will do whatever I need.

You will never regret having a truck. I'm going to keep bubba for a very, very long time.

Wow, that looks great!

I'll be looking for a car for my eldest daughter living in Canada soon, this gives me hope that I can find something decent for a reasonable price!

What did the truck sell for new in 2003?

Cheers!

2004 4.0L V6 4x4 with 42K miles here :thumb: I got it after my 1999 Ranger was totaled (offset head on with an F250 that was doing 50mph+ - I lost the battle, but imho the Ranger literally saved my life - if I'd been in a smaller rig or something with less safety gear or less effective crumple zones you would have been spared my presence). They're real nice trucks. My main disappointments are (like everyone else :D) that its been discontinued and that they never offered the diesel version here.

I'm sure you'll like this one; looks like a real nice clean truck :thumb: Heck the seats even look practically brand new! The bed liner is a nice touch as well. I was going to get mine spray lined when I bought it but the local guys sprayer was broken for several months and well.. yeah never got back to get it done and it shows some. Always just hung the 4x8 plywood over the tailgate which works fine to :D

Congrats, Roger! That truck looks like it's in great shape, and it's just getting broken in mileage-wise. My Ranger lumber hauler is a '97 4x4 extended cab with the 4.0L V6 and a 5 speed manual. Still running strong after 235,000+ miles. The clutch was replaced 100,000 miles or so ago. It was a hand-me-down from my dad, and bless his heart he put a lift gate with a 1,000 pound capacity on it. :D Perfect for collecting big chunks of urban hardwood for lathe fodder. :thumb:

Wow, all you Ford guys :eek:

Looks like a great truck, Congrats Roger :thumb:

I've got a 2008 Silverado which I bought new. It broke my heart to trade in my Hummer but now I wonder how I ever got along without it. Only problem is that people want to borrow it all the time :rolleyes:

Stuart, I think it was probably in the mid to high 20's, but I don't know for sure. It is a 4x4, so it's more truck than I was expecting to get, and it is so clean it looks new. Vaughn, my Saturn has 367,000 km on it, so about 235,000 mi. I was almost tempted to do the $1500 worth of repairs it needs, but I don't think it owes me anything. American vehicles are much better than in the 60's. I haven't really been a Ford guy, as I've driven mostly GM products, and now Toyotas (made in Canada,) but I have talked to a few Ranger owners, and the GM small trucks are in a different price universe. Nowever, this truck has the extended cab and 6' box, and a 6cyl. engine, which are the main things I wanted, as well as low mileage and good looks. I'm quite thrilled with this purchase. I pickup my pickup next Wednesday after it's been safetied and detailed and plated.

It's been driven less than 6,000 km per year, on average, and has never had a heavy load in that bed. I don't know why the original owner would have bought a truck like this and never used it. :huh:

Last edited:
Roger, congrats and I know you're going to like the truck... I bought a 1991 with 49,000 miles on it from a friend when I still lived in Houston... commuted to work every day in the truck and then moved it to Tennessee in 2005 when I retired.... finally retired the truck last year after the transmission gave up the ghost.... I have a 2003 F150 with the extend cab now. Love my truck.

Had an '84. Put 235,000 on it. Was in pristine condition when I sold it to a friend who gave it to his son who promptly totaled it. Sigh... What a waste. Replace it with a used F150 that was cherry. Sold it ten years later with 180,000 in it. Met my 10 year or 200,000 mile rule for replacement. Was in great shape. Also went to a kid. Have n o idea what happened to it. Was a great truck. No trucks since. Honda van I have treated like a truck. :rofl:

how did you find a TEN year old truck with only 57,000 km !?!?!?

Time for a ...
bill-murray-you-suck.jpg

sounds like a great find, Roger, congrats.

And Stu... I look forward to reading about how you, in Japan, go about finding your daughter, in Kelowna, a used car.
Let me guess, you're thinking 12 year old Mazda beater, and she's thinking brand new Mini Cooper???? :rolleyes:

how did you find a TEN year old truck with only 57,000 km !?!?!?

I have no idea. My son turned it up on autotrader. This almost beats a deal I made 25 years ago. We knew a used car salesman who found us a four year old Cavalier with - wait for it - 7,000 km on it! It had been owned by a nice old couple who used it to pick up groceries and go to church. They had the annual service records in the glove compartment. The farthest they had driven it in any one year was 2,500 km.

Carol, I've been using my Saturn as a truck. Picked up 300 l. of bagged garden soil this morning and said to myself, "Why do the kids all question my wanting a pickkup truck?" :huh:

...I pickup my pickup next Wednesday after it's been safetied and detailed and plated...

I'm guessing the wait for the new vehicle is a Canadian thing? Here in the States, we typically drive it away (with a temporary plate) the day we sign the paperwork.

"Why do the kids all question my wanting a pickkup truck?" :huh:

Great question. Me, I love small trucks. Mine's a GMC Sonoma, 15 years old now. Bought it used 13 years ago with only 7,000 miles on it. I was shocked to find out the bed is the same size as some much larger trucks. The darned thing has hauled just about everything imaginable. The boys always loved riding in the back of the extended cab... they'd even fight over the jump seat. Every man should have a truck... ;)