Frame that TV

As of late, more of my clients with full blown entertainment centers are choosing to see the screen of the tv rather than hide it behind doors. This offers us the opportunity to get "jiggy" with the situation. They, the clients, are asking for a frame to cover most of the tv except for the image.
With the changing of tv's occuring as often as it does for the wealthy, some want to be prepared for an upgrade and physical size change which is inevitible. The "framing" in of the tv offers some flexibility for the tv cavity with out the obvious glaring irregularities that occur with a tv model change. We do however need to be accurate and creative with our solutions. Thus the problem I had to deal with. D full view before.jpg It was a tv that stuck out like a girl in a pink dress at a funeral. Fortunately they didn't like it and so the plot thickens.

Kewl, another Shaz-style plot thickening....:thumb:

I can't wait to see what you wind up doing/did with that.

Here's what Denise and I did in our new house, before we even started on the shop:

DSCN3657.jpg

I never did get a picture after we painted that molding, but it wound up the same color as the walls. Looks 'passable'...considering I didn't have access to any of my tools...:rolleyes:

Our solution doesn't accomodate different TV sizes, but it sure solved the placement issue in our new house. ;)

Oh, and as always, Denise was an active participant in the project. In fact, she fit better up in the hole than I did, so I did all the framing, but then asked her help in securing the decking/shelving:

DSCN3648.jpg

So, let's see what you come up with for you client...

- Marty -

Here's what Denise and I did in our new house, before we even started on the shop:

View attachment 6604

I never did get a picture after we painted that molding, but it wound up the same color as the walls.I really like the wall color and the way it works with the fireplace surround is very attractive, i'm sure it 's real purdy.:D Looks 'passable'...considering I didn't have access to any of my tools...:rolleyes: Some folks don't know how difficult it is to do a job just making do with what tools are handy. "Looks fine from my house!"

Our solution doesn't accomodate different TV sizes, but it sure solved the placement issue in our new house. ;) It looks very comfortable where you have it.

Oh, and as always, Denise was an active participant in the project. In fact, she fit better up in the hole than I did, so I did all the framing, but then asked her help in securing the decking/shelving:

View attachment 6605
Another success for the two of you. Good Job:thumb: Thanks for sharing the photos and the post.

So, let's see what you come up with for you client...

- Marty -
This client needless to say wanted it to match the existing cabinet.

D full view before.jpg
I was not there but I have heard the conversation went like this, at the first viewing of the tv in the hole...
Owner..."That sucks, I don't like that one bit" :mad:
Decorator..."We can probably get the tv changed to black or dark charcoal.":rolleyes:
Audio Video provider..."No we can't" :(
Owner... "Well this isn't going to work!":mad: :mad:
Decorator..."What are we going to do?":eek:
Audio Video provider..."I have an idea".:huh:
Shaz enters stage left..."Say dudes and dudettes what's happin en":rofl: :rofl: :rofl: A little drama doesn't hurt.:D :D
In actuality I soon got a call asking me to come visit the job site.
Here were the constaints. The tv foot stuck out farther than the rest of the tv and more right in the center.d low r corner.jpg

On the sides, left and right of the image, in the aluminum colored frame were the tv speakers that they wanted to work.:doh:
D tv full.jpg

At the bottom of the tv, across the lower horizontal part they wanted to allow air to get in for ventilation, and be sure the remote would work when I finished.d low r corner.jpg:huh:
Surprisingly they mentioned nothing about it being pretty..:dunno: At this point it must have been "we trust you" or "anything will be better than the pink dress at the funeral", see post #1
What do you think about lacquer?:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hey Robert, I made the two pieces at the same time. It's a 42" wide scream plasma, the console is about 42" high X 90" by 16" deep. Framing in a plasma TV is no problem a CRT?????
Have fun Dennis

shaz, there`s a major up-charge for working on green cabinetry.....blach!
interested in your solution? tod

I am currently doing another unit that also frames, or at least considers, the TV and makes it part of the overall design. Probably harder to blend more traditional looks with modern TVs. Below is the first one I did several years ago that chose not to hide the TV. The frame is held in place by velcro and a few hidden screws, designed so the TV section could easily be reworked for a new TV (within reason). The TV space is vented to the upper cabinet, which also holds the other electronic components, which is then vented at the top. Speaker mesh was used in the flip-up door for air flow, and infrared works just fine through that for remotes. Maybe you could have them re-paint the TV to match or better contrast the "milkpaint" look???:)

BarWallUnit01.jpg

Hey Robert, I made the two pieces at the same time. It's a 42" wide scream plasma, the console is about 42" high X 90" by 16" deep. Framing in a plasma TV is no problem a CRT?????
Have fun Dennis
Hi Dennis, :wave: Nice work. Appreciate your input.:)

shaz, there`s a major up-charge for working on green cabinetry.....blach! Hey there Tod, :wave: Fortunately they arranged to have their faux painter do the final on my work. That finishing is a different deal altogether.
interested in your solution? tod
Thanks

I am currently doing another unit that also frames, or at least considers, the TV and makes it part of the overall design. Probably harder to blend more traditional looks with modern TVs. Below is the first one I did several years ago that chose not to hide the TV. The frame is held in place by velcro and a few hidden screws, designed so the TV section could easily be reworked for a new TV (within reason). The TV space is vented to the upper cabinet, which also holds the other electronic components, which is then vented at the top. Speaker mesh was used in the flip-up door for air flow, and infrared works just fine through that for remotes. Maybe you could have them re-paint the TV to match or better contrast the "milkpaint" look???:) Hi Sam, :wave: Nice photo of an interesting set up. Good job of solving a lot of different situations. Thanks for posting up and please keep us abreast of you work. What wood/woods have you used here?
BarWallUnit01.jpg

"... Thanks for posting up and please keep us abreast of you work. What wood/woods have you used here? RS"

Thanks, Robert. It is an all cherry project, and light plays wonders with it in it's natural state. It is why I don't like staining it. This photo was taken right after install. They had me do a wet bar to match it later on and it darkened up beautifully. When I check my drawings on this one I realized that I didn't vent the TV space into the upper cab like I said, but rather, held the upper cab off the wall about 3", which allowed for ventilation of the TV and made for a nice wire chase. :wave:

"...
It is an all cherry project, and light plays wonders with it in it's natural state. It is why I don't like staining it. They had me do a wet bar to match it later on and it darkened up beautifully. . :wave:

Hi Sam,
That is a really pretty piece. I'll bet the wet bar was sweet too. The cherry is so beautiful when it gets a clear coat, but some people need more. More is sometimes less.:(
Any how, for my client I offered several options. I like drawing the stuff, then I have to figure out how to build it.
Tv frame sized with cloth.jpg

All in all it turned ou rather well. They choose the top drawing and told me no to worry, the faux painter would do the painting.
I just needed to stretch the cloth to cover the holes when she was done.
With the correct planning and the right measurements it all usually works out fine.

This was what I was left withD full view before.jpg.
They choose the top drawingTv frame sized with cloth.jpg.
This was the end result.[/ATTACH].
It worked out okay, it was a one piece deal, I drove to the site, took of my shoes, entered, slid it into place, walked to the door, put my shoes back on and bid the lady a fine farewell. Everybody was happy. Challenging projects can offer the greatest satisfaction:rolleyes: ,( when done)!:rofl: :rofl:
Shaz

Attachments

• Done deal.jpg
    Done deal.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 19
Man, that turned out really well. I was being a bit tongue in cheek when I suggested painting the TV, and that durn near looks like you did just that, by that I mean it doesn't look like you framed it at all, it is seamless. Really nice! I would have chosen the bottom drawing, but I'm not the client. A good challenge well mastered, Shaz. Thanks. :thumb: