Connections - Long Range Rifle Shooting - Woodworking - Did You Know

Pete Simmons

I love connections. I am an NRA High Power Long Range Shooter and have had the chance to watch some of the US Shooting Team in action.

Turns out Shiraz Balolia - Grizzly CEO also just happens to be the U.S. F-Class Open Shooting Team Captain.

On a good day I bet he can keep all shots in a 6 - 10 inch circle at 600 - 1200 yards.

Other days he sells green tools to us wood and metal workers.

Shiraz in action at 800 yards

Boy did I enjoy that. Brought back great memories of the shooting range in the Corps. We didn't shoot that far but the routine was almost the same. It was just as much fun "pulling butts" as it was shooting. now that was over 40 years ago but I think running the targets was called pulling butts.

Thanks for sharing that.

Well, I was not aware of Shiraz's hobby, but it sure looks like he enjoys it! Quite a range of talent from creating a major corporation to building great looking guitars to being a shooting champion!

Impressive to say the least! I used to talk to Bill Wylde and some of the across the course guys a good bit, was a member of the F-list, a little mailing group based in OZ. Mighty impressive what they can do with a scope or iron sights. One thing I found curious, they don't seem to directly correct for the vertical component in a wind, more of a bullet went here, need a click up. When there is a significant change in crosswind do they usually correct for vertical also or only after it is revealed by bullet placement?

I shot more point blank, short range benchrest out to three hundred. I can't lay prone. Accurate rifles are fun, accurate pistols too!

Hu

The difficult part of prone is you need to get up.

I also do IDPA - sometimes called the old farts sport.

When we have a prone position we make it the last part of a string so you can get up off the timer.

Good friend Jeff Davis was on the team about 15 years ago. He taught the guys how to stretch before a shoot after they kind of giggled at his pre shooting warm ups and the he would out shoot them.

My son Jarrod just bought a 300 win-mag and Jeff is memtoring him.