Turning really is a disease!!!

Ed Nelson

Ok, so I turned another pen. Not that that is a big deal, but here is a pic.

IMAG0030.jpg

Maple with purpleheart.

Here is where I decided this is a bona-fide disease...I have never really liked the handles that come on screwdrivers, soooo, after finding a post on woodnet about london pattern handles, I cut the handle off an old phillips screwdriver and put this on it.

IMAG0028.jpg

Walnut with a bronze ferrule.

Yep, you are infected for sure :D :wave:

I have some files, not the best quality, that I bought as a set a while ago, they have these awful plastic handles............ yes they are being replaced, one by one :rolleyes: :D

Nice looking pen and screw driver!!

Nice job on all of them Ed! BTW....there ain't no cure for the disease but you can keep it at bay with lots of money and turning time!:D

Diseased? Yep. Sounds like you should take two aspen and call back in the morning. :rofl: Like Ken said, it's nothing some time and money can't keep keep under control.

Nice pen, and I really like the screwdriver. The octagon part is a great touch. :thumb:

Turn on, brother! :p

OK Ed, I am totally jealous. My two favorite woods, maple and purple heart. Plus in-layed, what more could a girl want :D That is one beautiful pen.

Once I start to learn turning, one of the things I would like to do is to make handles for different tools and other things that will fit my hands. What I'm not sure about is how you go and attach the objects to the handles. Is that hard?

Both projects look nice!! :thumb:

Hey Joan! You really need to go ahead and get that lathe!

The tool handles are not that hard at all. I drilled a hole in the end of my blank and threaded a 1/4-20 bolt with the head cut off and chucked it in a jacobs chuck. The screwdriver had a crimped section and I ground the ears off so I could fit it in the handle. Then I used a generous application of CA glue and seated the handle. I wasn't completely sure of how it would work, but I used it to drive a handful of #6 screws today and it worked fine!

I think I saw that Woodcraft is offering the Jet mini for about $180. It's a good place to get started! I thought I got a deal at $199!

You got it, you got it bad...

Hello Ed,

You got it bad...:D It only gets worse from here! There is no 12 step program for woodturners, so the addiction keeps growing. It's like a virus that keeps replicating itself over and over. Soon, you will be replacing all of the knife handles in your kitchen, then the tool handles in your garage.

When that's all done, you will tell your wife that the kitchen cabinets would really look better with custom turned inlaid knobs. Your cabinets will be overflowing with bowls, platters and cups that you've turned. :D :D :D The center island in your kitchen will have a dozen turned pepper-mills, each with a different type of pepper in it. Salt mills, at least six with different sea salts in each one.

All of your cooking oil bottles will have turned stoppers, most will feature cabochon stone inlays. There will be a drawer full of stoppers waiting for half full wine bottles. Other kitchen drawers will be filled with turned bottle openers, cake servers and corkscrews. Your desks will be bursting at the seams with turned pens and pencils... Your wife will not be able to close her purse with all of the turned perfume pens, compacts and mini-pens.

And then it really starts getting bad...:D :D :D Welcome to the addiction! Enjoy! Take care and all the best to you and yours!

Last edited:
You know Steve, I thought this would happen to me too, but it has not, maybe we have not run out of friends yet, :rolleyes:, but, in my house there are 4 bowls that I have turned, no pens or any of the other things you mention.

Two of the bowls I gave to my lovely wife for Christmas, and wrote her name on them, so she could NOT give them away:eek: and the other two, one my eldest daughter claimed and other is the very first bowl I turned, I keep it to show myself that I have gotten better :rofl:

My lovely wife finds all sorts of people to give my bowls away to, the Japanese culture is VERY big on presents, and one hand crafted seems to go over REAL well.

Thus, I have lots of space left in my house, so I should get at it and make some more bowls!! :D

And then it really starts getting bad...:D :D :D Welcome to the addiction!

Thanks Steve! I really like how the screwdriver looks, so I definitely see a full set in the future. been working on the pens and bottle stoppers. I think I need to try to sell some of these things since it looks quite obvious that I will NEED a nice big lathe!:rolleyes: