Spalted Green Acacia with Mesquite Collar

Nate Davey

This is the first project I've had time for in quite a while. Had 3 weeks off from night school and between work and doing landscaping for the Finance Minister, time has been short. This is a piece of Green Acacia I got from Jerry Marcental when I bought the chuck plate from him. The top was a bit too far gone, so I made a Mesquite insert. In hindsight, walnut would probably have been a better color choice, but there it is. I figured as long as I was doing an insert, I could make the hole small enough to keep the fat fingers of other turners out of my form . I feel a nice finial would finish this form off nicely. I haven't turned one in a long time and mesquite was a bad choice for finial wood. I couldn't get it to take fine detail. Regardless, the finial is too short and fat and I don't like the transition out of the top of the form. Finish is AO form is about 8" in diameter. Thanks for looking, candid criticism appreciated.
Acacia Finial 01.jpgAcacia Front 01.jpgAcacia Side 01.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Steve, I agree on the up turned opening. This is the second collared form I've tried and missed the thickness needed to do that and maintain the curve. I was relying on the finial to provide that lift and missed it there too.

About the only critique I have is things you already mentioned. Like Steve said, you nailed the form of the vessel, but I think things kind of fell short on the insert and finial. Is the collar glued on? Have you considered a do-over?