Tornado alley...please check in!

My wife and I had planned to stay in Texas a little longer this morning, but got a text from my MIL that OK City was going to have Tornado warnings around 3:00 pm and Joplin around 7:00 pm, so gave the nephews hugs/kisses and hit the road first thing. Just got home about an hour ago and sounds like the storm that hit OK City and Wichita is heading this way, hopefully it has lost some of it's spunk.

The storm came up the Kansas Turnpke from Wichita and went thru here around 5:30. Funnel clouds spotted south and west of town and the sirens wailed for about 25 minutes, but most of the storm hooked around us on the way to NE Kansas. All is good here for this round!:)

Ike

My parents were in OK city this past weekend and where they camped was very close to the tornados, but they left early Sunday morning and only had some rain where they stayed last night in south central NE. We were in the basement for 30 minutes last night, but the bad storms were about 10 miles to the NW of us. Trees and roofs blown down and a couple semi's blown over on I-35.

We didn't have any damage in our area, but north of us had several trees and power lines down from wind damage. I noticed the police were blocking streets that crews were working on in the ride into work.

My brother lives in Edmond, OK and his family is all safe, but he said it's really bad south of him. He was in Moore for a meeting yesterday and his client called after he left and told him to drive faster as the hail had started, 15 minutes later the tornado was on the ground. Tough to prepare or get out of the way for very fast developing storms like that. Can't imagine what some families are going through right now.

And I just recently read an article (Reader's Digest I think) about how OK is a wonderful state to live in.

In CA the ground may go up and down, however it usually stays in the same general location. The up and down is a real good stimulus for a person's heart and stomach. Ah yes, what was that old saying, "...better the devil you know..."

Seriously Myrna and I have been watching the TV showings and our hearts go out to all of the people who have and are suffering.

JimB

I was viewing before and after pictures today on google earth, or whatever satellite shots they have.

for lack of any other word, the devastation is shocking. Ive never seen rows of homes leveled, gone, its heartbreaking.

I have a niece and two grand nephews in the OKC area... my niece is in Norman, her son in Moore and my other sister's grandson is in Newcastle... finally got hold of my sister in ABQ to see if her daughter and grand son were okay... couldn't get in touch with other sister, but did find out the tornadoes missed all three.... the grandnephew in Newcastle lost a tree and a bar-b-cue grill... only damage for them.

Also have another nephew in Guthrie and an ex-brother in law somewhere around the area, plus another nephew in Enid... no storms up that way yet.

My wife has pretty much glued to the TV watching all the devastation... luckily, sad but still luckily, only 24 lives lost... but looks like half the town was leveled.

its makes me sick that already the local lowlifes are looting in these devastated areas.

I understand its all damaged, but these people that just go and take scrap metal off of peoples properties, especially after what these people went through, well, my solution for this involves the use of a Mossberg 500, but I wont go into it here.

I hope the miserable criminals who make profit off of that destruction get whats coming to them.

I agree with Allen. ;) My Mossy 500 is part of my post-earthquake plan, if I happen to actually be in LA for the next big one.