One Week

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
One week. That's how long it's been since I've had a cigarette. After smoking between one and two packs a day for the past 40 years, this is the second longest I've ever gone without one. (I didn't have a smoke for two weeks when I was in the hospital with a broken back.) I haven't quit cold turkey, though. I switched to an e-cig, so I'm still getting my dose of nicotine, just without the tar and carbon monoxide and other bad stuff in smoke. Now it's just water vapor and nicotine, with a bit of flavoring. They taste better than cigarettes (peach, vanilla, and raspberry are my favorite flavors so far), and still satiate the jonesing for nicotine. Much less expensive, too. Also doesn't upset my stomach like the nicotine gum does. Still probably not 100% healthy, but I'm not coughing up gunk in the morning anymore, and my car no longer smells like an ashtray. :thumb:

Attaboy Vaughn! I've heard a lot of good things about those, and if they can help get rid of the bad stuff, then I say go with them!

Man that's great:thumb:,I'm still smoking after 40 years:eek:, i know i should try something like that, but boy i've given up all my other bad habbits. Well not if you call BC's, and coke bad habbits.:D My youngest son did that e cig thing, and he's not smoked in over 2 months now. I just hope he don't start again.

Last edited:
Keep it up Vaughn, it CAN be done, January 6, 1990 for me, so if I could, I know YOU can:thumb: just think on how much money you can spend in your shop with the money saved:)

So that explains the avatar! You can do it. I quit after 35+ years. For some reason I just decided I didn't want to smoke anymore, the time was right and I quit. I have, when I'm RV'n occasionally smoked a pipe or cigar, but it doesn't hook me. My wife still smokes and it has actually helped me stay away from smoking.

You can do it. It is hard for most but worth it in the long run.

Good for you Vaughn !!!!!!!!!

I've been really thinking about it myself. 50 years of a pack of Marlboros a day and I wonder why I have copd :eek:
I quit for 3 years about 12 years ago. I was playing golf with s bunch of old friends after a couple of beers someone lit up a smoke and I headed for the cigarette machine :doh:

I've seen the ecigs at the local Walgreens. I'll give them a try.

My wife and I were at a bar recently with some friends and friends of friends. One of them was using one of the ecigs. She had been using them for about a year. Said she could use them even at her desk at work (in a government office) and no one knew, nor was it considered smoking. Also was told by her Dr. that it put her in the non-smoker category. Need to suggest them to the FIL. He gave up smoking after his by-pass surgery, but he was lighting up the last time we went to the bar again.

congrats vaughn, havnt had the smoke problem much but chewing was my down fall. been around 8yrs now with a occasional taste but nit steady.. nicotine is tuff to go without,especially around your buddies that still do it..

Congrats to all of you who have quit. If you had seen my uncle and Myrna's brother just before they died from smoking---It would make it a lot easier to quit and stay quit.

When he was younger Bob looked just like Fred McMurray, the movie actor. And to make matters worse he lived in the same block as Fred. He signed autographs to the people on "star" tours. Well when he finally died he didn't look so handsome---Lets just say a Halloween skeleton would be much more handsome. Please don't copy him---QUIT and stay quit.

Sorry for the lecture---I just have VERY strong feelings on the subject.

Enjoy life,
JimB

Gotta hand it to you bro....that's a tough decision....but it's the right decision. If you work at it you can beat the need and live longer and healthier. Mom always said you were the smart one!

I've seen the ecigs at the local Walgreens. I'll give them a try.

The one I got is different from the ones in places like Walgreens. It doesn't look like a cigarette at all. It's basically a battery, a tank with a heating element, and a mouthpiece. When I get back to a computer, I'll post a link to the local shop where I bought it.

To those of you who've quit, you're proof it can be done. Both of my parents were heavy smokers, and they just both decided out of the blue to quit. I was still living at home at the time, and at one point I just noticed the only cigarette butts in the ashtrays around the house were mine. Turns out they had quit about two weeks earlier. My dad still carried a pack of Pall Mall reds in his shirt pocket for about a year as a security blanket, but never went back to them. (I still have an open pack in my car. I'll save them for when someone wants to bum a smoke...they should be nice and stale by then.) :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations! I'll be pulling for ya. I quit 32 years ago after a pack and a half a day habit. I tapered down to about six a day and then quit. The hard part will be seeing other people light up for the next year or so, but be strong. You'll breathe better, smell better in both senses of that, taste things better, and put your cigarette money into woodworking tools. I still smoke about three good cigars a week in summer, without inhaling, and I'm waiting for the Canadian government to make grass legal, :D (I'm a child of the 60s) but that may not be in my lifetime. Be strong!

Last edited:
Congrats Vaughn and keep it up!:thumb: Nicotine can grab ahold and is tough to leave...I never really smoked much but unless I was eating or sleeping I chewed skoal for 15yrs . A string of 3 or 4 billboards showing lip and jaw cancer while driving home one day did it for me...still crave it all the time too, but come August it will be 6yrs since my last.

congratulations, Vaughn. Put me in Jim Bradley's camp. :thumb:

... but he was lighting up the last time we went to the bar again.

All bars and restaurants here in Ontario have been smoke free for over 10 years (15? I forget). Bring him up here on vacation, then you can imbibe without the temptation of smoking.

I'm so used to it, I get caught by surprise when I cross the border and visit a restaurant and am asked "Smoking or Non"...