Glider cradle

Tom Muellner

It's been a while since I've drifted in here. Time to get back to woodworking, I guess. This is an ash & cherry glider cradle I recently made for an upcoming grandson. I started by ordering a set of cradle plans off the web. I did that to get an idea of the basic structure & dimensions for the project. I then designed the finished item to utilize some ash from a downed tree on our property & cherry for a contrast in tone.
cradle 800x600.JPG
I wanted it to have a distinctive look to it with the two types of wood, but I designed it with a simple, straight forward style that would not clash with any furniture style my son might later add to the room. The ends are frame & panel construction.
cradle end 800x600.JPG
& the sides utilize loose tenons.
cradle side 800x600.JPG
A friend offered his Festool domino for the ladder side joinery & I do like loose tenon joining, but really can't justify the cost of that tool. I've since made a jig for one of my Shopsmiths that works almost as fast using an upcut router bit. The glider hardware is available from several web sources. I used Original Waterlox as the finish & it is now my new favorite for ease of use and look.
(Looks like I have some duplication in the photos, I'll have to figure out how to avoid that in the future...still getting the hang of posting stuff)

Attachments

• crad 2.jpg
    crad 2.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 16
  • crad 4.jpg
    crad 4.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 15
  • crad 5.jpg
    crad 5.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0394.jpg
    IMG_0394.jpg