SketchUp 2013 Is Out

Dave Richards

The new version of SketchUp has been released. Check it out here. Download SketchUp 2013 Make if you want the free version.

Most of the changes are under the hood but there's some cool stuff like easier plugin installation and customize-able toolbars. All the details are on the SketchUp site.

You get an 8 hour trial period of the free version. After that you'll switch to the free version, called SketchUp 2013 Make, if you don't buy the license. Since you've got the pro version for 8 hours of running time you should look at LayOut, Maybe Style Builder if you're interested in that. Try out the Solid Tools, import or export some CAD files and so on.

I did not know about the trial period. That's some good info. I'm going to hold off on it until I'm really ready to try the layout functionality.

No worries.

One thing you'll find with the new version is that if you set up toolbars to run down the left side, you'll only be able to get them to display as a single column. This is due to the way they had to create the toolbars so they wouldn't get scrambled as they do once in awhile in SU8 and earlier versions. I'm used to having two columns so I made two custom toolbars I could put next to each other like this.

I just took the tools off the original bars and put them on alternate custom toolbars to get essentially the same layout as the old tools have.

I'm going to try the new version when I have a bit of time. I'm still having mouse problems with SU8, and I'm hoping the problem goes away with the new version. It's not like I'm using an oddball mouse or anything...a Logitech M305 with Logitech drivers. The stock MS drivers produced the same problems, namely that the middle/wheel mouse button does not do anything.

Vaughn, you probably need to go in and reassign the function of the CMB.

I've used several Logitech mice but never installed the driver and they've always worked perfectly. The mouse drivers have historically been problematic because they change the assignment of the CMB away from that which is native to the basic PC mouse setup.

Thanks, Dave. I've tried changing the assignment (using the native MS drivers) in the past and had no luck so far. I'll mess with it some more when I get a chance.

when you do get a chance, send me a list of the available assignment options. Maybe i can help you pick the right one. As I said I don't use the Logitech drivers and I know of others who had to remove them from their systems to get that to work.

... One thing you'll find with the new version is that if you set up toolbars to run down the left side, you'll only be able to get them to display as a single column.
I just took the tools off the original bars and put them on alternate custom toolbars to get essentially the same layout as the old tools have.

When I moved the 'Large Tool Set' from the top to the left side, it ran off the bottom of the screen. I put it back on top, then right clicked on the toolbar to bring up a list of tool bars. Then, I chose the individual tool bars that matched with the large tool set, moving each one individually to the left. After starting one column against the left edge of the screen, I was able to place other tool groupings in a second column.

Bill, that's good. The toolbar generator thingummy they are using now won't allow a two column toolbar as before. If you've got what you need, that's great. Also notice you can use smaller toolbar icons so you can get more of them in the same space. And play with the custom toolbars, too.

Bill, Windows, right? I'm doing this from memory because I'm not in front of my PC. Go to View>Toolbars and in the window that pops up click New. Give it a name. It'll create a new little toolbar into which you can drag icons from other native toolbars. To create the toolbars on the first page here, I opened up all the native toolbars I wanted tools from and then created two new toolbars. I then dragged the icons over in the order I wanted. then I placed them side by side over on the left side of the screen.

Uninstalled the Logitech mouse drivers, let the system revert to the native mouse drivers, and bim-debam-deboom! Orbit works now in both SU 8 and SU 2013. :thumb: Thanks Dave. I'll find out when I get home if the Logitech mouse driver uninstall had any undesirable effects on the Logitech wireless keyboard I use at home on this laptop. The mouse and keyboard drivers are part of the SetPoint package, so here's hoping the keyboard is still happy.

Dave, I was having a procedure problem for lack of a better term. I had gone to View>Toolbars, Clicked "New" which created a small window. Next, I closed the Toolbars window to get it out of the way. Bad on me. Finally figured out the Toolbars window has to be open to be able to edit the new Toolbar I created. :rolleyes:

Vaughn, I'm glad you got that sorted. If you do go back to the Logitech driver for the keyboard, set the middle button to middle button.

Bill, sorry. I didn't think to tell you that you can't close the Toolbars window when you are editing toolbars. ;)

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    89.1 KB · Views: 10