Tack rag problem....what to do now?

Tom Baugues

So I'm working on this problem and really sanded the project well using all the proper grits through to 400. This left very fine dust all over project. I recently bought a new tack cloth (which I have never used before) and took it out of the package waded it up as stated on package and lightly wiped it over the wood. It is VERY tacky and it has left some residue on the wood. :eek: What can I use to clean this off before applying my Danish oil finish.
Not a happy camper right now. :pullhair:

Rubbing Alcohol on a clean rag will remove the sticky residue, clean the wood with mineral spirits to remove dust, let dry and finish. Do let the tack cloth sit out a while to dry a bit, it will leave less to no sticky then.

Ok...disaster averted. I had some mineral spirits and it did the job of cleaning off the residue quit nicely. :woot: I just never thought a tack cloth would do that. Anyone know what they put on these things anyway? Looks like something that we should have our own shop recipe for.

It's soaked in a varnish solution. I learned some time ago that they can screw up your finish.
I usually use a cloth dampened with mineral spirits to remove dust. Not sure if there is a better method but it works for me.

another vote for no TACK CLOTH, they have been a fox in the hen house for years.. any thinner used for the following finish will clean off your project.. and going to 400 grit is usually over kill unless its a turning.

and going to 400 grit is usually over kill unless its a turning.

You are probably correct. I have to admit that I usually do not sand anything near that fine. In fact...120 may be the finest I ever do. However the other day I was in a Rockler and they had all there sandpaper for just .50 a pack/3 sheets, so I stocked up and have all the grits. So I wondered what it would be like to actually sand a project all the way through using each grit. I have to say...it gets things REAL SMOOTH. I am pretty happy with the outcome.....although like you say...it is overkill.